Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
dtwiley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Twilley

On-Prem direct to Azure Blob with B&R running in Azure VM

Post by dtwiley »

I have a client with a single on-premise server. We want to backup direct to Azure Blob Storage.

I'm happy with that scenario but is it feasible to run the B&R server in an Azure VM instead of installing it on the on-prem server? Then use a VPN Gateway to connect the Azure VM back to the protected environment?

My reasoning is that in the event of a total loss on-prem we have a ready to go B&R console already connected to the Azure Blob Storage ready for direct restore into Azure.

I'm only asking as my colleague has an issue with installing B&R on the on-prem host. Obviously this will increase Opex to run the Azure VM.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: On-Prem direct to Azure Blob with B&R running in Azure VM

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dave

Having the backup server running in the recovery side is a valid design for disaster recovery purposes.

Two recommendations:
- Make sure to have a primary copy of the backups in your customers datacenter. Using only primary backup jobs to Azure works fine. But each restore will bring API and egress costs for your customer. Additionally, consider the time required for recovery; restoring a single VM to the on-premise hypervisor may be time-consuming. I recommend to use Azure as a target for backup copy jobs. Backups from whom your customer hopefully never needs to restore.
- When you run the backup server in the cloud, make sure to deploy a proxy server in the on-premise environment.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dtwiley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Twilley

Post by dtwiley »

Edited: Totally misread your response, all good, thanks for your help
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

I meant, from a backup perspective it will work fine. You can run backups directly to Azure.
Recovery of huge data from Azure to the on-premise environment will most likely come with disadvantages in egress/api costs and recovery speed.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software