Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
desmith
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Derek Smith

Fileserver direct to object storage

Post by desmith »

We have a Windows server with a fileshare on iSCSI storage, which grows by 1TB each month and files are retained for 12 months. Backing up this data is a lower priority but we would like to maintain one copy on object storage (ideally on archive tier), and don't have capacity for a copy on prem.

I was hoping I'd be able to accomplish this with the release of v12, but have found file share backups cannot target an SOBR repository with object storage for capacity tier.

I think considered using Agent for Endpoint to backup to the SOBR, but don't think it will be feasible to move data to archive tier, since it will be part of the most recent restore point for as long as we want to retain the backup.

Are there any other options? I really just want a simple file copy to S3 archive, but to be able to monitor the backups as part of our existing Veeam configuration.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Fileserver direct to object storage

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
you can point the NAS backup job directly to an S3 bucket. No SOBR needed.

Direct to AWS Glacier / Azure archive is not an option in V12. The workaround with the agent would cost more, because it also needs space in a "hot" tier first.

Best regards,
Hannes
desmith
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Derek Smith

Post by desmith »

So I just realised NAS backup is licensed per 500GB, which means this is not an option.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you are dealing with a huge file share that grows dynamically, you might consider buying the special capacity-based license (which on this scale might be cheaper than the VUL offer). Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

going with the Veeam Agent for Windows and tiering to Glacier Deep Archive / Azure Archive might be cheaper than NAS backup licenses. It depends on the amount of data.