Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
akraker
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andrew Kraker

Good Azure cost estimation calculator?

Post by akraker »

Is there anything that exists out there where I can put in the total size of the data I am backing up and some of my job parameters to estimate how much I could expect to pay to use Azure as the repository? I am trying to put together a calculator right now but figured I would check to see if something already exists.

Obviously I know how much it costs to store the data and how much it costs for the write operations by using the Azure calculator. I am just trying to figure out how much data will be stored given certain retention scenarios after compression, de-duplication, etc.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Good Azure cost estimation calculator?

Post by Gostev »

For how much data will be stored depending on the retention policy and data reduction ratio, you can use the standard calculator for regular backup jobs, with the Forever Incremental preset.
akraker
Enthusiast

Post by akraker »

That calculator is great. What settings would I use to replicate the amount of Azure storage being used if I do incrementals 3 times per day (every 8 hours) and I have a retention of 6 days for intra-dailies, 4 weekly, 6 monthly and 2 yearly? The numbers I get seem high because it seems to be accumulating all of the incrementals through an entire year and does not take into account that those will be consolidated.
I also read somewhere that the ReFS box should be check for this since the retention copy data is de-duplicated in Azure.
akraker
Enthusiast

Post by akraker »

I think I might have figured out the settings I need. See below. The trick was to use the Backup Copy Job style with a weekly synthetic.