Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
knopfler
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Salva

How immutable files are deleted by Veeam after immutable period is over?

Post by knopfler »

Hello,

I set a bucket in wasabi with 15 days of immutability. Then I set a job to backup a virtual machine with veeam in that bucket. I do a incremental copy of that virtual machine every day and the sundays i do a full one. I set 7 restore points for that virtual machine.

After a month the bucket only grows, it seems none is deleted. In the restore points of the backup job I have 9 points of restore for the virtual machine, 2 fulls and 7 incremental, all form the last 9 days.

So the question is. Is anything I doing wrong?

How veeam backup manage/delete the files that were immutable in the past but not now and it can be deleted?

Thanks in advance
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How immutable files are deleted by Veeam after immutable period is over?

Post by Mildur »

Hello Salva
So the question is. Is anything I doing wrong?
I recommend to always contact support first to ask this question. Support can check the logs to see if everything behaves as it should. Which we cannot do over this forum.
I set a bucket in wasabi with 15 days of immutability. Then I set a job to backup a virtual machine with veeam in that bucket. I do a incremental copy of that virtual machine every day and the sundays i do a full one. I set 7 restore points for that virtual machine.

After a month the bucket only grows, it seems none is deleted. In the restore points of the backup job I have 9 points of restore for the virtual machine, 2 fulls and 7 incremental, all form the last 9 days.
With 15 days of immutability, we add an additional 1-10 days of immutability for each object. Even if we remove the restore point from the configuration database, objects belonging to that restore point will still be immutable for another few days. Your objects will be immutable for almost a month with your settings. And only if an object is not used by any restore point, we can remove it after they have aged out.

May I ask, why do you configure 15 immutability but choose to only keep 7 restore points? immutability period should be shorter than the retention period or we won't be able to delete the objects belonging to the restore point for a long time.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
knopfler
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Salva

Re: How immutable files are deleted by Veeam after immutable period is over?

Post by knopfler »

Dear Fabian,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Following your info I set 7 days of immutability and 8 restore points. I know this changes will be for new files only so I have to wait.

Regards