Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
MGT1981
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

immutable offsite backup

Post by MGT1981 »

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to solve what should be a fairly simple problem. I have a on premise host that we are backing up to a NAS currently. we would like to do a copy job to a cloud service (preferably azure blob storage) that is immutable (i would like to set immutability on the Azure end if possible).

Is this possible or do i need to set up a SOBR? my concern with the SOBR is that from what i have read (and what support indicated) was that i needed a hardened linux repository for my local tier which from what i can tell i cant do on a Synology. can i not just add azure blob storage as a target and write to it?

If this is not an option are there any cloud connect providers that offer immutability
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: immutable offsite backup

Post by Mildur »

Hello

Azure Blob immutability is supported starting with Veeam Backup & Replication v12. There is a KB on how to setup the Azure Blob storage container:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4416

V12 allows you to do a direct backup copy to Azure Blob. Or you can use Azure Blob as a capacity tier in a SOBR and use the copy policy to copy all backups from NAS to the Azure Blob.
my concern with the SOBR is that from what i have read (and what support indicated) was that i needed a hardened linux repository for my local tier which from what i can tell i cant do on a Synology.
This statement from support is wrong. A hardened repository for the first backup is not a requirement for using immutable object storage for backup copies. May I know the case number so I can check the entire discussion?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
MGT1981
Enthusiast

Post by MGT1981 »

hi Fabian,

so just a follow up to this, i set up an Azure repository with immutability, i can just run a backup copy job to that and it will work? Doesn't the backup copy job need to modify the backup files when it completes to roll in the backup chain?
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Post by NorthGuard »

MGT1981 wrote: May 31, 2023 11:45 pm Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to solve what should be a fairly simple problem. I have a on premise host that we are backing up to a NAS currently. we would like to do a copy job to a cloud service (preferably azure blob storage) that is immutable (i would like to set immutability on the Azure end if possible).

Is this possible or do i need to set up a SOBR? my concern with the SOBR is that from what i have read (and what support indicated) was that i needed a hardened linux repository for my local tier which from what i can tell i cant do on a Synology. can i not just add azure blob storage as a target and write to it?

If this is not an option are there any cloud connect providers that offer immutability
For what its worth, I am doing this exact thing... though my backup copy job is to Wasabi immutable S3 storage.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

MGT1981 wrote: Jun 28, 2023 1:04 pm hi Fabian,

so just a follow up to this, i set up an Azure repository with immutability, i can just run a backup copy job to that and it will work? Doesn't the backup copy job need to modify the backup files when it completes to roll in the backup chain?
Hi MGT1981

Yes. It will just work.
A backup copy job does not modify "backup files". On object storage, we don't have backup files.
We only upload unique blocks of a restore point as objects/blobs. New restore points will reuse the uploaded objects if the protected data doesn't have changed between a new and previous restore point. Each uploaded object/blob will be made immutable for the configured period (+block generation). When you copy a new restore point, the new objects/blobs will be set immutable for the configured period and the unchanged objects/blobs will have their immutability extended if neccessary.

Therefore regular full backup copies are not required. Please note, if you enabled Active full backup copies, an entire full backup will be copied again to your Azure repository.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
MGT1981
Enthusiast

Post by MGT1981 »

ok one other question, should i enable backup health checks on this job?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

It's up to you. Just remember that everything costs money with hyperscalers like Azure. Both to put data there, to store it and to access it.