Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
andyboy16
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: A

Move Performance Tier to S3

Post by andyboy16 »

Now that v12 supports backing up to S3 directly, what's the best way to move my backups from on-prem performance tier to S3 to continue my backups? Currently, SOBR is setup for this one backup job and we just need to backup to offsite. These will be hardly restored. The SOBR also serves to archive tier to Glacier. Synthetic full runs every Mon/Wed/Fri and I assume synthetic fulls are no longer needed if going to S3 correct?
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: Move Performance Tier to S3

Post by tyler.jurgens » 1 person likes this post

If you wanted to do this, you could add your S3 as a extent of your SOBR, seal your old performance extent and either turn off capacity/archive tiering and switch to backup copy jobs, or keep your capacity/archive tier and go to a different S3 bucket. By sealing your old performance extent you will cause the jobs to run a new active full to the S3 bucket.

Keep in mind you aren't doing 3-2-1 backups anymore if you go straight to some offsite S3. You may also heavily impact your RPO/RTOs by doing so.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social