Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
DVelez
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Daniel Velez

Restore test server

Post by DVelez »

Hi,

I have two questions regarding Object Storage in Veeam 12,
1. We configured a server to test restore jobs from an object storage we have in Wasabi. When I add the Wasabi object storage, it completes without errors, but is has the message "No backups found". When I check the main Veeam server, the object storage has the backup files. Any suggestions to solve the issue?

2. What would be the right process to test a restore job from an Object Storage in two different servers?

Thanks,
DV
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: Restore test server

Post by tyler.jurgens »

SOBR offload, or direct to object?

For direct to object, you need to add the object storage repository and rescan the repository before you will see any backups. You'll get a warning that the repository is already managed by another backup server. Proceed and you can test your restore.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
DVelez
Influencer

Post by DVelez »

The method we use is direct to object storage.

I already added the object storage to the test server, but still cannot find any backups, even though it found the folder.
DVelez
Influencer

Post by DVelez »

Today I removed the repository, create it again without issues. The problem is that it cannot find backups when I try to import backups. Do I have to do something to in the main backup server? What would be the right way to have two Veeam Servers connected to the same object storage repository (Wasabi)? One of them will be used only to test the restore process.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello @DVelez

With Object Storage, you have two options:
- Import: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
- Rescan: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Import backups needs to be done when you have used the object storage as part of a capacity or archive tier.
Rescan is used, when object storage contains direct to object storage backup or backup copies.

@tjuergens
For direct to object, you need to add the object storage repository and rescan the repository before you will see any backups. You'll get a warning that the repository is already managed by another backup server. Proceed and you can test your restore.
We currently do not support such restore tests. When you connect the object storage bucket to a second VBR server with the same folder, ownership will be taken over by the new backup server. Backup and backup copy jobs will stop working on the original backup server.
There is a unofficial (unsupported) workaround for that. To make backup and backup copy jobs workable again, go through the object storage repository properties on the original server (next >next > next > ... > finish). This will bring the ownership back to the original server.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tyler.jurgens » 1 person likes this post

@DVelez - do not run an "import", you must rescan. That one bit me too.

@Mildur
Seems like it should be a supported way of testing restores. It makes sense that someone may run into a case where they need to attach the S3 bucket to a different VBR to perform a restore. That workaround works great, I've tested it extensively.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Yes, we are aware. It's important to have such functionality.
At the moment we are testing some scenarios. We hope we can provide a supported (tested) scenario in the future.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DVelez
Influencer

Post by DVelez »

@tjurgens-s2d - Thanks for clarifying that detail about "rescan".