Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
t481
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Restoring from S3 on a new backup server

Post by t481 »

Hello,
I have 3 Veeam Backup Servers running in 3 sites. Each side offloads to S3-compatible system that is available to all 3 sites. However, each site has its own buckets.

My question is, during a DR scenario, how would one go about restoring data from bucket-01 created on VeeamServer-01 (Site 1) on VeeamServer-02 (at Site 2)

Is it possible to simply add the bucket to VeeamServer-02 and re-index it then restore from it?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Restoring from S3 on a new backup server

Post by Gostev »

Yes. Veeam backups are fully portable so in case of a DR situation you can import existing backups from any location at all, and then perform restores from them normally.
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Post by DanielJ »

Let me add a question to this thread: suppose a customer wants me to test restore something from their S3 repository. I add their bucket and restore from it normally. Would the customer then have any issue when they continue to use the repository? I realise they wouldn't be able to do backups at the same time I am doing restores. But what if they just keep the repository connected? VBR rescans the infrastructure every few hours. Could some conflict or corruption happen due to this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yeah, there would be "conflict" as the new backup server will take ownership of the repository, so you don't want to do the testing this way. For the time being, restores should be tested from the customer side. We do already consider implementing your testing scenario in future releases though.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tyler.jurgens » 1 person likes this post

The new server will take ownership of the S3. So for the duration of your testing, your customer would not be able to perform any backups. Once you are done your testing, you would need the customer to run through the repository properties to have the customer VBR take ownership back.

AFAIK, no corruption could exist because the customer VBR would not be able to do anything to the backups on that repo. I've done this multiple times successfully in the past. I haven't seen any specific reason why data corruption would occur, but I'd love to hear if I'm wrong here.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social