Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

S3 Immutable Settings AWS vs Veeam

Post by evander »

Hi - I have setup an S3 immutable storage bucket and have got the jobs working but I am trying to understand which settings are determined and controlled by Veeam and which are set and controlled by AWS.

For example, in a default created S3 bucket with no further changes, I can set the "Use Infrequent Access Storage" and the "Store in a single availability zone" settings. And I assume AWS will honor those settings coming from Veeam without any further changes needed on the S3 bucket, right?

However Veeam also has the setting that says: "Make recent backups immutable for x days" - does this overwrite settings on AWS or the other way around?
By default when you create an S3 bucket and you enable Object lock it is then "enabled" but in the properties of the Object Lock settings you have another "Default Retention" settings which is off by default and I am not sure if I must enable this and if so must it match the same x number of days you set in the Veeam settings or will what I set in Veeam automatically set it as such in AWS?

Thanks
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: S3 Immutable Settings AWS vs Veeam

Post by dalbertson » 3 people like this post

Hi,

Great question. Object lock is an api. When you enable it on a bucket it then allows applications like Veeam to set a lock date via API when we place the object on S3. So when you create a object lock bucket and then create a immutable repo in Veeam, we then are able to lock those backups for the period of time specified.

To add onto this, Veeam then controls the settings. You should not set the days on the bucket settings. Veeam will control that when we place the objects.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: S3 Immutable Settings AWS vs Veeam

Post by evander »

Awesome, thanks for the quick and clear answer Dustin!