- Service Provider
- Posts: 443
- Liked: 30 times
- Joined: Dec 28, 2014 11:48 am
- Location: The Netherlands
A lot of small customers and branch offices have a single backup server with tape. When replacing this with veeam you can deploy a single onpremise backup server also serving for proxy and repository. Avoiding having to use tape, we can choose for S3 storage as part of a SOBR on this backup server.
Thinking in scenario's,
- it is possible that the backup server hardware fails or is not available. How can we access the backups located in the S3 storage when the Veeam Backup & Replication server is not available ?
- Can we have a standby server in the cloud that can attach the S3 storage in read only mode only for restore purposes ? How can we attach this S3 storage again to the original VBR server when it is online again ?
- Are backups located on S3 storage interchangable between multiple VBR servers ?
- Veeam Software
- Posts: 2498
- Liked: 657 times
- Joined: Jun 14, 2013 9:30 am
- Full Name: Egor Yakovlev
- Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Answering your questions:
- Veeam Backups in S3 are stored in proprietary format. You can access backup files, but cannot restore without Veeam Backup and Replication server.
- Sure! Standby server will work fine to restore from S3 in case of major VBR server loss. Check out Restore from S3 scenarios description here.
- Yes, but not for concurrent\simultaneous access. Only 1 VBR server should work with backup bucket.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests