Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
gthorne
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gareth Thorne

SOBR Architecture with HPE StoreOnce

Post by gthorne »

hi all,

I have an architecture question that I hope you can help with please? I have a customer with an environment comprised of 2 HPE StoreOnce and an Artesca S3 Object Store - trying to work out the copy logic with some constraints in the environment.

Site 1 - Local Veeam Server with StoreOnce (local backups) writes to Site 2 StoreOnce (Catalyst Copy) and the Artesca Object Platform is in site 2 - I want to offload copies in site 2 to the s3 bucket in site 2 for long term retention, but the existing WAN link is already saturated (it's only 1Gb) and as there is only one Veeam Server in site 1, I believe that the traffic will hairpin back over the WAN to be read through the Veeam server in site 1 for offload - any ideas how I can overcome this? I was thinking that I can create a SOBR comprised of the StoreOnce in site 2 and the S3 object store which should work, but how do I prevent the traffic from going round trip over the WAN - is it as simple as deploying a Proxy/Gateway in site 2 to read the data off the StoreOnce there and write it into the Object store?

All assistance greatly appreciated.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: SOBR Architecture with HPE StoreOnce

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Site 1:
Create a Repository on the StoreOnce.
Implement Veeam WAN Accelerator on site one

Site 2:
Create a SOBR of the second StoreOnce with Capacity Tier on the Artesca and use for example "Copy" processing within Capacity Tier.
Implement on a server on site 2
- Veeam WAN Accelerator
- Configure the Server as Veeam Gateway Server for the second StoreOnce
- Configure the Server as Veeam Gateway Server for the Artesca Storage

Create a backup copy job (not a Catalyst Copy Backup Job) from site 1 to site 2 and choose the WAN accelerators accordingly for source and target.

Optionally, you could check with HPE if there is a way to use the site 2 StoreOnce with Catalyst Copy and target a StoreOnce Cloud Bank (HPE StoreOnce own way to offload to S3), but I do not know if you can configure the cloud bank in a way that the second StoreOnce holds as well a copy of the data.
Here you would not change your setup (just configure the Cloud Bank option)
gthorne
Novice

Post by gthorne »

Thanks Andreas, that's really useful - any reason why we have to explicitly use a backup copy job rather than a catalyst job? just that the catalyst integration seems to be recommended in the tech docs I have looked at. Cloud bank is unfortunately not an option as we need to enable S3 Object locking which is not supported with CloudBank (at least not yet)
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I don´t think that you can use a catalyst copy job as source for an additional backup copy job to object repository.
As well I think at least that there is no way that the Catalyst Copy Backup Copy Job can target a SOBR with a StoreOnce and S3 as Capacity Tier.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Ha, I am sorry. It turns out that you can use Catalyst Copy in a SOBR.

First Site:
Create a Repository (or SOBR) with the first Catalyst Store

Second Site:
Create a SOBR with the Catalyst Store from site 2 as Performance Tier and select the Object Storage as Capacity Tier.
For this Catalyst Store, select a server on site 2 as Gateway Server. Select this server or another one on site 2 as Gateway Server for the Object Storage.
Select Copy policy (or Move) for the SOBR Capacity Tier.

Create a Catalyst Backup Copy Job between those.
gthorne
Novice

Post by gthorne » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Andreas, that is exactly what I wanted to hear and backs up my thinking - really appreciate you taking the time to respond - have a great festive break (if you celebrate Christmas) and a great new year!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Same to you and your family.