Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

SOBR Settings and S3 object storage

Post by jcofin13 »

I am looking for some clarity on SOBR and using S3 as a capacity tier.

Right now the bill we get seems to show the api call charges are costing us as much or more than the storage we are using which is getting quite expensive.

Is this a result of having immutable turned on on the S3 Repo?
This is Veeam 11 but will be upgraded soon.
Multiple backup jobs but all are set to do incremementals with a synthetic full 1 time per week.

The settings we have on the SOBR are as follows:
Capacity Tier:
-Copy Backups to object storage as soon as they are created
- Move backups to object storage as soon as they age out of the operational restore windows (30 days)
-Encrypt data

The AWS repo in the SOBR is set as follows:
Bucket:
-Make recent backups immutable for 30 days
-Use infrequent access storage ---> this says may result in higher costs. Curious to know if this can be shut off to save money? The data does get "accessed" for retrieval often at all (aka restores) but the data is being accessed per the api calls I'm sure. It says to avoid using for short term storage of recent backups. I guess I'm not sure how that is defined. This setting is confusing. I have seen some folks suggesting this should not be turned on and like it says "may result in higher costs" but is it ok to turn it off if its been on since the repo was setup?

There is a setting under this as well that says "store backups in a single availability zone" which we do NOT have turned on. Id suspect turning this on might save us a small amount of money in trade for losing some backup resiliency. IM not sure what the cost difference would be here or if that's recommended.

The goal for this is to save a bit of money if we can.

Thanks in advance.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Re: SOBR Settings and S3 object storage

Post by ober72 » 1 person likes this post

Hi

As I understand it estimating the API Calls cost when it comes to AWS is challenging. There is a white paper here that was written a few years ago https://www.veeam.com/wp-designing-budg ... .html?wpty which may still apply.
Also if you do a search in this forum area you will find numerous posts about AWS api costs. Also check out Hannesk's FAQ which touches on this subject as well post338749.html#p338749 Just as an aside there are some vendors who don't charge for API calls I believe like Wasabi.
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend