Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
kotek001
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kamal Kotecha

Veeam Version 12 Community Edition

Post by kotek001 »

Hi
Using community edition I have manged to back up our HyperVMs to a local NAS device.
But I would like to backup my HyperV VMs to Azure Cloud. And I cant see how.
I have created a Azure Storage container. Ive also created a VEEAM Azure Backup Appliance.
I have created an External repository with the Azure Storage container.
I have created a Backup repository with a Azure Blob Storage repositoy
But when I go to create a backup job, there in no option to backup to Azure container.
If I try and use the Backup repository with a Azure Blob Storage, it says I need an enterprise licence.

I know it must be something simple I am missing.
Can someone help me create a backup job to Azure Container
Thanks
Kamal
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Version 12 Community Edition

Post by Mildur »

Hello Kamal

Object storage as a backup target is only available for licensed backup server (VUL or Socket Enterprise/Enterprise+).
Community and Standard edition can only restore from Veeam backups on object storage.
Page 10 in the feature comparison guide: https://www.veeam.com/veeam_data_platfo ... son_ds.pdf

External repositories are not used as a backup target. An external repository contains backups written by our public cloud products (Veeam Backup for Azure/AWS/GCP). On the Veeam Backup & Replication server, you can use a backup copy job to copy the backup from the external repository to any other Veeam backup repository.

1) Get a license and install it on your server
2) add your Azure Blob as a new object storage repository: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
3) Create a backup/backup copy job to target this object storage repository

VEEAM Azure Backup Appliance is not used to copy your Hyper-V backups to Azure Blob.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software