Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

2 buckets or one and diff folders?

Post by theviking84 »

I've got 2 different vmware environments that will utilize sobrs with amazon s3 bucket as the capacity tier.

Do I need 2 different s3 buckets, one to each sobr? Or would I be OK by using one bucket and just a different FOLDER on that same bucket when setting up the second sobr? This won't cause big issues with both veeam jobs trying to run data to s3 at same time and max things out or cause any other big issues?
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: 2 buckets or one and diff folders?

Post by dalbertson »

Either way will work. Its up to you how you want to organize them. Some choose to just use one bucket and separate folders and then some like the idea of using separate buckets.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: 2 buckets or one and diff folders?

Post by Gostev »

While sharing the same bucket between different SOBR technically works and is supported, it is not recommended for object storage scalability reasons. Please only use this approach in small environments with no more than a few dozen TBs of backups in total across all SOBR (although this number varies by an order of magnitude depending on object storage type).