Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
tiger1444
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Khaled

250TB backup to cloud

Post by tiger1444 »

Hi Veeam Community,

I'm interested on how others are using Veeam B&R to backup large amounts of data to cloud storage like AWS, Azure, etc.

We have 522 Instances of VM's and Physical servers with a total combined backed up data of 250TB using Veritas & Quest backup. We're interested in Veeam B&R and cloud backup to AWS/Azure/etc. and our internet bandwidth is 10Gig on our main site, 1 Gig on remote sites. Does anyone know how Veeam B&R would backup 250TB to cloud?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: 250TB backup to cloud

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

From Veeam perspective there are no limitations and frankly speaking, 522 machines is a relatively small environment (our largest customers have tens of thousands of machines protected).

From bandwidth perspective, a lot will depend on your data change rate, which is very environment-specific. While it can be all over the place, I tend to use 5% per day as safe approximation. This means about 6TB will need to be moved to the cloud daily from all sites, taking into account data compression. Here you can do the math and see if your total bandwidth is sufficient for that.

Thanks!
tiger1444
Novice

Post by tiger1444 »

Thanks Gostev for quick response, so Veeam B&R has a setting that can be configured to upload a maximum (of using your example) 6TB per day from Veeam B&R local server backup repository? Do you know any links that explains how to set this up, I'd like to give this a try in a test environment.

In our case if 6TB upload from repository to cloud works, that would be 250TB divided by 6TB = which would take about 42 days to complete initially, then incremental backups would be fast after initial full backup.
Another thing that can slow data transfer is the network speed of AWS or Azure
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

I just estimated that you will have 6TB worth of changes daily in your environment. So at the very least, your bandwidth must be sufficient to push this much data to cloud daily. There's no setting to limit this, Veeam will always upload all backups configured to be uploaded to cloud. There's also no sense to limit this, as it will lead to you having no latest restore points in cloud.

I didn't worry about the initial 250TB upload because this should normally be seeded into the cloud via AWS Snowball etc.
tiger1444
Novice

Post by tiger1444 » 1 person likes this post

Great thanks for explaining, I had no idea initial data can be seeded into cloud. I'll see in a test environment what’s the maximum change data can be uploaded to the cloud in a day.