Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Re: 9.5 Update 4 - Azure Blob Storage

Post by mcz »

Gostev wrote: Oct 18, 2018 9:39 pm Michael, what about setting a time-based retention lock on the storage container?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... le-storage
Anton, I've now attached object storage (azure) to our SOBR and it is beautiful :D
BUT: Immutable storage does conflict with the current veeam implementation... Would you like to discuss this topic with your collegues from product management?

veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No support for immutable storage at the moment, but thanks for the feature request!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

It is unlikely that immutable storage will ever be supported for Capacity Tier due to its WORM nature. There are just too many issues around "online storage" use case with most basic stuff that you don't immediately realize, like inability to cleanup incomplete or failed writes even.

However, we will certainly consider immutability for possible future Archive Tier, which is a different use case from Capacity Tier that will likely have vastly different integration approach - due to Glacier-type storage peculiarities and those issues enabling immutability brings. Which also means that will lose most of the benefits of Capacity Tier, and it will no longer be "beautiful" ;) limiting you to true archival scenarios (essentially making it an off-site tape archive replacement).
dimaslan
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dimitris Aslanidis

Post by dimaslan »

Not sure if this was answered already, I was just wondering since the Azure blob Archival storage is charging for delete operations as well, won't there be a charge when, let's say in 13 months from now you go and send the new monthly backup and have to delete the oldest one?

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

As far as I know, you have to pay deletion fee, only if blob has not stayed in Archive Tier for 180 days (it's called early deletion period). Thanks!
networkup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Wilkinson

Post by networkup »

I have my scale up setup so it goes to the NAS then for my capacity tier I have it set at 0 days. The full backup has been taken and is sitting on the NAS 2 hours later the backup has not made it into azure blob storage. How long does it take? Once it does appear in the blob storage will it be deleted from the NAS? If it is deleted from the NAS is there anyway to configure that not to happen and just have it as a copy only back in Azure?

Would appreciate any help, struggling to understand the documentation not finding it very clear at all
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Backups belonging to an active chain will not be uploaded.

Just to remind: Capacity Tier is designed to keep oldest backup files, which you are unlikely to have to restore from. In classic storage tiering terms, it's called "cold" data. 0-day offload schedule is not the correct way to use Capacity Tier, as something created 2 hours ago is a very much "hot" data that you may have to restore in the next few hours - there's really no point to remove it from on-prem immediately after creation.
networkup
Influencer

Post by networkup »

Thank you @gostev this has helped with my understanding greatly.

So if i understand correctly and i set up my backup routine along the lines below with my offload schedule set to 7 days.

Week 1

Monday - Thurs Incremental
Fri Full backup

Week 2

Monday - Thurs Incremental
Fri Full backup
On Friday my full backup from week 1 should be getting offloaded to Azure Blob Storage.

Is my understanding correct? Is there a better way to be doing it?

My only concern is the time week 2 comes and week 1 full backup can be offloaded to Azure the data is 2 weeks old

Thank you for help!

---edit now i have got two full backups the oldest one has been shipped off to Azure blob storage successfully. Should the one which has been shipped of to Azure blob storage have been deleted locally on the NAS as it is still there..?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 2 people like this post

It's not really there, look at its size ;) what is left on NAS is a VBK stub containing metadata only - this serves as a local cache, for performance considerations and to reduce the number of API calls which object storage providers often charge extra for.
networkup
Influencer

Post by networkup »

Thank you so much Gostev!!! Slowly getting my head around this :) Your right it is a little VBK file
networkup
Influencer

Post by networkup »

One last question for the day, is functionality coming which will allow me to backup to the local NAS and this copy is then also instantly sent up to Azure blob storage so i have the backup in two places? We have DPM by Microsoft which has this functionally, we do a NAS backup and a few hours later it is sent up to Azure storage.

If there is a workaround which would let me do this that would be great , otherwise our Manager will force us onto DPM which i really do not want. Why DPMs cloud backups are spot on we have a lot of problems with it crashing etc.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

networkup wrote: Jan 31, 2019 4:45 pmOne last question for the day, is functionality coming which will allow me to backup to the local NAS and this copy is then also instantly sent up to Azure blob storage so i have the backup in two places?
Correct, as per my post on the first page (copy mode).
networkup
Influencer

Post by networkup »

Perfect!!

When is the eta on that and version? Is there a beta about I can demo to my manager so he stops pushing for us to ditch it

Found the post apologies glazed over that first time
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

It's planned for our 2019 release, however we don't provide ETAs - because we only ship the code When It's Ready™

Beta is a little too early to talk about, considering we just barely shipped the previous release ;)
networkup
Influencer

Post by networkup »

Quick question how long do the restore points get stored in Azure blob storage. Is it determined by "Restore points to keep on disk"? on the backup jobs?

So if we have 30 days in the "restore points to keep on disk" in the backup job, on day 31 day will one of the restore points be restored from Azure? Does Veeam send some message up to Azure to do this?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Is it determined by "Restore points to keep on disk"? on the backup jobs?
Correct
So if we have 30 days in the "restore points to keep on disk" in the backup job, on day 31 day will one of the restore points be restored from Azure? Does Veeam send some message up to Azure to do this?
On the 31st day it will be removed from Azure Blob.

Thanks!
networkup
Influencer

Post by networkup »

If a scenario came and we lost the Veeam backup and replication server + the SQL db and had to start from scratch with no NAS / no local backups. We install veeam backup and replication on a new VM. All of a sudden the domain controller requires a restore, how do we link Veeam backup and replication back to Azure so we can pull the backups down from the Azure blob and use them for a restore?

Is there an article or advice for this scenario ?

Could not see anything from a quick google
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 2 people like this post

You will need to:

- Install backup server
- Create a Object Storage Repository using the same information (credentials, folder, container)
- Create a Scale-Out Backup Repository
- Attach object storage repository as capacity tier

Backup server will re-scan object storage repository, find previous backups there and download dehydrated copies of them to local extent. After that, you will be able to execute restore process.

Thanks!
networkup
Influencer

Post by networkup »

Thanks for the great instructions i will try to setup a lab to run through the scenario shortly.

if the backups have been encrypted on the capacity tier when setting up the scale-out repository is there any gotchas we need be aware of?

I assume all we would do when setting the scale-out Backup Repository up is put the password back into the tick box on the capacity tier which reads "Encrypt data uploaded to object storage" and it would be able to decrypt the backups and be able to use them for restores etc?

veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Your understanding is correct, you will just need to input the same password that was used for encryption. Thanks!
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Post by crackocain »

Hi Vladimir

All of full and incremental backups are downloaded automatically? Can we see the downloading progress?

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mehmet, what scenario are you talking about? Your question does not seem connected to the discussion. One thing for sure, nothing significant ever gets downloaded automatically without your action, because it costs money with Azure :D
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Post by crackocain »

Lost Veeam Backup & Replication server scenario, networkup wrote.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Then I am confirming - no backups will be downloaded automatically, only metadata. If you want to download actual backups, you will have to manually initiate the process. Normally it's not needed though, because you can restore directly from object storage. So, the only times when you would want to download, are scenarios where you need to perform multiple restores from the same backup. For example, provisioning multiple on-demand sandboxes for developers to play with.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

Question to Anton & Vladimir: Would the mentioned scenario (downloading full + increments) be possible at the moment? AFAIK, at the moment (using U4) you can only "outsource" the oldest restore points (=capacity tier) but this does not belong to the full (vbk). So your latest full would have been on prem which got lost during desaster. Being able to upload all restore points would be part of the next update (can't wait to get it...)

Please correct me if I'm wrong - thanks.

BTW: Where is the "quote" button gone, I don't see it anymore...
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're correct - only inactive or sealed part of backup chain gets offloaded to capacity tier. More information can be found here.

Ability to copy all (not just move oldest) backup files to capacity tier as soon as they are created is planned for future releases indeed.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

mcz wrote: Feb 18, 2019 8:17 amBTW: Where is the "quote" button gone, I don't see it anymore...
It is purposely disabled to prevent people from quoting the immediate post :wink: you should still see this button on other posts. Thanks!
networkup
Influencer

Post by networkup »

Hi guys just after some quick confirmation of my understanding.

We have all of our jobs running reverse incremental backups all week with a full active backup every Saturday. Does this mean Fridays file will stay a VBK and become inactive allowing it to be in a state ready for Azure offload? And Saturdays VBK will be the start of the new active chain?

I have this diagram to explain

https://imgur.com/a/aQILwm2

grey = inactive chain
green = active chain
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Adam, that is correct. Thanks!
dimaslan
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dimitris Aslanidis

Re: 9.5 Update 4 and Microsoft Azure Blob Storage

Post by dimaslan »

I just saw this mentioned elsewhere, I just wanted to bring it up here as well for verification and because it's relevant: "Capacity" Tier can only be Cold tier Blob and not Archival, correct? I saw this is because once something is moved to Archival tier Veeam will lose connection to it. This of course changes pricing by x5. Is a VLT on Azure the only solution for this for now then?
Even with 30 TB, the difference is significant.
Thanks.