Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
MikePettit
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Pettit

Archive Copies In Object Storage

Post by MikePettit » 1 person likes this post

Hello all. Hoping for a little help with my backup strategy. Thank you for reading.

The primary backup plan is to send backups to an S3 storage gateway software (softnas) that directly connects me to Wasabi S3 hot storage. So I'll be sending my primary backups to \\softnas\backups and that will go directly into Wasabi S3 hot storage (no onsite storage). I know, a little scary, but Wasabi is in the same datacenter and we'll have a 10Gb direct connect with them. Still have yet to test the speed of this. We will keep these backups for 30 days in a forever incremental scenario. So one full backup at the beginning of the string, and 29 increments after that.

My next challenge is that, at the end of every month, I want to save a full backup set to a separate folder/archive location that will end up holding 10 years of monthly backups (to get me off tape). But I'm a little confused on how to do this with a forever incremental strategy, where you're never taking a full backup besides the very first time. Is there a way? If not, what's the best strategy to get those fulls? Create separate full jobs that I run once a month pointing to the new archive folder?

A super bonus would be to make the full archive copy hit Wasabi without having to use the softnas gateway, because I have to pay for every TB that goes through softnas (Please Veeam, please please please come out with the ability to send primary backups to S3 object storage :D ). So for instance if I sent the primary copy through softnas, and Veeam was able to do a scale-out-repository or a VTL option to send the archive full to Wasabi straight from Veeam, that would be amazing.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Archive Copies In Object Storage

Post by Gostev »

MikePettit wrote: Mar 04, 2019 11:16 pmMy next challenge is that, at the end of every month, I want to save a full backup set to a separate folder/archive location that will end up holding 10 years of monthly backups (to get me off tape). But I'm a little confused on how to do this with a forever incremental strategy, where you're never taking a full backup besides the very first time. Is there a way? If not, what's the best strategy to get those fulls?
Hello, I suppose you can do that using Export Backup functionality (new in U4). Please give it a try. Thanks!
MikePettit
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Pettit

Re: Archive Copies In Object Storage

Post by MikePettit »

Nice! That might be exactly what I'm looking for. I'll start researching that option. Thank you, Gostev!