Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
t481
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Archive VM to S3 and remove from main backup chain

Post by t481 » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
Is there a way to archive VMs (that we've decommissioned) to our Object Store (S3-compatible) and remove it permanently from a backup job?

I removed the VMs from the main backup job and it started to complain about the VMs being skipped until I changed the job configuration to remove deleted items data after 30 days and now it's fine. However, I would like to archive the main full backup in the backup copy chain to S3 and remove the other restore points.

How can I do this?
Is it possible to move them out of that backup so that they don't get deleted if the job is reconfigured or changed in any way?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Archive VM to S3 and remove from main backup chain

Post by DGrinev »

Hello,

You can get these VMs as a couple of independent full backups by using Export Backup.
Afterward, you can copy them manually wherever you want\need. Thanks!
t481
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by t481 »

Hi @DGrinev. Thanks for that advice. Now that I've exporte the VMs, they're showing under Disk (Imported). How do I move them to my Object Store? I am able to do this with backups in Backups and Backup Copy jobs but I don't see the option under imported jobs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Currently you cannot move exported backups to object storage using Veeam Backup and Replication. Probably Dmitry's meant some third party utility that allows that. Thanks!