Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
tbtfw
Novice
Liked: never

AWS S3 Glacier Deep Archive Immutable Configuration and Associated API Costs

Post by tbtfw »

I am using Veeam Backup with a SOBR and have configured both AWS S3 Standard and AWS S3 Glacier Deep Archive as my capacity and archive tiers. I am aware that enabling immutable in AWS S3 Standard will result in additional API costs for a full backup API every 10 days. However, I would like to clarify if there are any other API costs associated with enabling immutable in AWS S3 Glacier Deep Archive.

I would greatly appreciate any information or guidance you could provide on this matter.

Regards,
tbtfw
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: AWS S3 Glacier Deep Archive Immutable Configuration and Associated API Costs

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

No, the GFS restore points are immutable for the entire retention period. Extension every 10 days would be slow and expensive in Glacier.

Best regards,
Hannes
tbtfw
Novice

Re: AWS S3 Glacier Deep Archive Immutable Configuration and Associated API Costs

Post by tbtfw »

Im afriad that i get it wrong, let me make an example below to clarify

If we have a full backup sized of 2 TB, we typically incur 1 million API calls for every TB we upload to S3 Standard, which would amount to 2 million API calls for the backup data. However, if we enable Immutable, we'll incur an additional 2 million API calls every 10 days, meaning a total of 8 million API calls per month (2 million for backup data and 6 million for Immutable).

In comparison, after offload long retention data to Glacier, there will be no additional API cost for the entire retention period for Immutable feature.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, no additional calls to prolong the immutability period for GFS restore points will be made, unless you increase the job GFS retention scheme.
tbtfw
Novice

Post by tbtfw »

Thank you so much Hannes and veremin!