Using object storage as a backup target
tpx
Novice
Liked: 2 times

AWS S3 Immutability (Object Lock) error

Post by tpx » 1 person likes this post

I was receiving the following error when selecting the Make recent backups immutable checkbox:
"Failed to enable backup immutability: the selected object storage does not support S3 Object Lock feature"

I found the solution in Veeam's documentation:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

When enabling Object Lock on an S3 bucket, use the None option for the object lock configuration mode. Otherwise, you will not be able to register the bucket with Veeam Backup & Replication. Note that Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically use Compliance object lock mode for each uploaded object.

I had previously selected 'Compliance mode' on the S3 bucket when enabling Object Lock.

It's working now after I changed it to the None option.

dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 157 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: AWS S3 Immutability (Object Lock) error

Post by dalbertson »

I will perform some testing in my lab. But there are two ways to create a bucket with object lock. One way is doing it while you are creating the bucket by enabling versioning and then adding the checkbox for object lock. The second way is after the bucket is created and going to the properties page. I am thinking that the issue appears when the second way is being selected.
Dustin Albertson | Manager - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances

robert.vonmehren
Veeam Software
Liked: 4 times

Post by robert.vonmehren »

Just to add - I am seeing the same issue with a customer.

Versioning and object lock were enabled and set to compliance mode - this resulted in an error that object lock was not supported for this bucket

We tried with a new bucket with object lock set to "none" and resulted in the same error. Will post support case # when opened

amarsaudon
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Marsaudon

Post by amarsaudon »

Did you ever get this sorted? Experiencing the same thing, figured I'd ask before opening a ticket.

dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 157 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson » 3 people like this post

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

When enabling Object Lock on an S3 bucket, use the None option for the object lock configuration mode. Otherwise, you will not be able to register the bucket with Veeam Backup & Replication. Note that Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically use Compliance object lock mode for each uploaded object.
Dustin Albertson | Manager - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances

mrt
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by mrt »

When enabling Object Lock on an S3 bucket, use the None option for the object lock configuration mode.
Struggling with this error. Did AWS change the wording on the bucket creation form? When I create a bucket and enable Object Lock, I'm given no options at all to set "configuration mode" nor is that setting available after bucket creation. Thanks