Discussions specific to object storage
dimaslan
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Dimitris Aslanidis

Re: Azure BLOB in Veeam Backup & Replication

Post by dimaslan » Sep 25, 2018 2:35 pm 1 person likes this post

So,

To understand, let's say we need to send archival backups to an Azure VM with Veeam.
We have monthly backups we will be using FastSCP to copy over and we want to create new Backup Copy Jobs for monthlies and yearlies that also go to Blob storage in Azure.
What would be the way to go?
I know the Azure VM will need to be assigned with "normal" storage for the OS, but could we then attach a ~10 TB drive of Blob storage to use as a repository? Does it also need to have non-blob storage as well?

Thank you.

ShanGan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Shan Ganeshan

Post by ShanGan » Feb 04, 2019 10:52 am

dellock6 wrote:
Feb 27, 2018 4:55 am
Hi Dan,
you are correct, these are the available options today to consume Azure storage (supposing you are running Cloud Connect in Azure VMs).

Luca

Hi Luca,

Just want to know if what I think is a good workaround to use Azure Blob without much messing around with Azure VM or Cloud connect.

If we create a Backup Copy job with GFS enabled and target it to the scale-out-repository which has the Azure Blob at the Capacity Tier. Then I also make the Capacity Tier to move backup files older than 0 days.

Which I presume with this method the initial source jobs copy will be pushed to Azure blob immediately (well once it does the 4 hour scan)

Is my thinking is correct ?

Shan

v.Eremin
Product Manager
Liked: 1241 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by v.Eremin » Feb 04, 2019 6:40 pm

Correct, GFS files will be moved to Capacity Tier.

However, .vbk and dependent .vibs that are part of simple rotation scheme will not be offloaded to Capacity Tier, as those files get actively transformed (see this section of our User Guide).

Thanks!