Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
rjv1971
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ron

Azure space reclamation

Post by rjv1971 »

How do I figure out, if the data that Veeam has stored in Azure blob is actually still valid data? Are there are any remnants left behind that could be deleted? I am being asked to 'audit' our Azure blob storage usage by Veeam, to make sure we're only storing what is still valid data and not pay for 'dead' data.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Azure space reclamation

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to be 100% sure: are you talking about Veeam Backup & Replication, or are you taking about Veeam Backup for Azure? These are two different products and you posted in the "Veeam Backup for Azure" forum. Your question sounds like a "Veeam Backup & Replication" question.

I'm answering for Backup & Replication: if you delete data from Azure blob, then you will run into issues sooner or later. That means, backups will be corrupted and support will not be able to help you to fix it. We store data in an "incremental forever" way and every object in object storage (no matter whether Azure blob or S3) is necessary.

Best regards,
Hannes
rjv1971
Influencer

Post by rjv1971 »

Sorry for the confusion: I am talking about Veeam Backup & Replication.

I realize I cannot just delete data myself. However, what I'd like to know is how I figure out if all the data I have in Azure is still valid. In our on-prem storage, I notice that over time, there are remnants 'left behind' by Veeam. Not a hugh amount, but still, certain vbk or vib files are not being deleted.
Or, let's say I disable, then delete a backup-copy job. How do I now know which files in Azure were part of this and how can I remove those so I am not paying Microsoft for storage I do not need?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
no worries, I just moved the topic.
Not a hugh amount, but still, certain vbk or vib files are not being deleted.
do you have a case number for that behavior? usually that happens because customers re-configure jobs and they are not aware of the safety-net: "remove deleted items data after..." https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Or, let's say I disable, then delete a backup-copy job.
then the backups appear in "imported" in the UI. There you can delete the data. Manual deletion can cause database issues over time.

Please use the supported ways to delete data from object storage (the user-interface or PowerShell).

Best regards,
Hannes
rjv1971
Influencer

Post by rjv1971 »

I don't know how to attach screenshots here, but for my on-prem backups: I have a job, set to keep 8 versions, so I have 1 vbk and 7 vib backups, from the past 8 days. This is shown in the properties of the disk-backup of that job. However, when I look at the repo where these are stored, there are the 8 files Veeam knows about, AND 2 extra / remnant vib files. from July 27 and July 29. I end up having to delete these manually.

Again, Veen B&R has NO knowledge of these files; I just see them in the repo. But in Azure.... how would I find these?
rjv1971
Influencer

Post by rjv1971 »

... one addition: There's not a huge amount of these files; just some here and there.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

it's hard to tell the reason from your description alone... please open a support case number to find out whether it's a bug or configuration issue.

Thanks for your understanding.
rjv1971
Influencer

Post by rjv1971 »

Thanks for the quick responses. I have opened Case #04464345
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

ok, looks like the case has no log files. I only see two pictures. Support needs log files from the time of the issue to investigate it.