Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Azure Storage Account Data Protection Settings

Post by bg.ranken »

I am struggling with making sure we have the correct settings on our storage account. One of the areas I want to confirm is data protection settings:

This is a brand new storage account with no data in it, so I can still edit the account if needed. Following https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... tion-guide I did disable blob soft deletes, but there's no mention of the other settings. I have also not been able to find any documentation from the Veeam side as to if I want any of these additional settings enabled or disabled. Currently I have no policies for immutability created, but I do want to be somewhat future proof if immutability for Azure might be in V12, so it seems like I should have the bottom option selected "Enable version-level immutability support" which seems to require Enable versioning for blobs to also be selected.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Azure Storage Account Data Protection Settings

Post by Mildur »

Hi Rendall

Now in V10/V11, you shouldn't activate the immutability feature. Versioning can be enabled, but will generate extra costs.

From our Guide:
Limitations for Microsoft Azure Object Storage
Azure object-level immutability is not supported by Veeam Backup & Replication. In Azure, it is possible to set account-level or container-level immutability policy, these can be overridden by object-level immutability. Veeam Backup & Replication currently does not support these features. Do not enable this feature as this might lead to a significant data loss.
Currently, Veeam Backup & Replication does not support the Versioning feature for Microsoft Azure object storage. If you plan to use an account with blob versioning enabled, keep in mind this may result in extra costs for storing objects that have been removed by the retention policy.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Post by bg.ranken »

So after talking to some Veeam reps it appears that my initial setup was correct. They are currently recommending that for any new storage accounts that are configured that "Enable version-level immutability support" should be checked (it can only be checked during creation of a storage account).

"Enable versioning for blobs" will have to be checked as it seems to be a requirement when you enable the version-level support, but according to the Veeam reps as long as you do not create any lifecycle schedules there should be no actual versions created, so no extra cost and it can be safely ignored.

The Veeam documentation should be updated to reflect the information provided by the reps.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Can you reference a source of this information? We are wondering cause the information provided by Fabian and User Guider is correct - currently, in v11, we do not support Azure immutability along with Blob versioning, and it's too early to design a solution for upcoming v12 which requirements and limitations are yet to be finalized. Thanks!