Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
AngusThermopyle
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Martyn Kay

Azure Transfer Costs

Post by AngusThermopyle »

We currently run a Cloud Connect box locally backed with local storage and then Blob storage in Azure but we are finding calculating the storage costs for Azure to be a real challenge. If we were to move the CC to a VM in Azure and changed backend storage to a third party like Wasabi, would there be Azure egress costs for the CC jobs using the Wasabi repository or would the data go 'direct' to Wasabi?

For the jobs using the current local storage I guess I could build a local cloud gateway and use that for those jobs?

Many thanks in advance.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Azure Transfer Costs

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

If you only change the backend storage to Wasabi, then everything will stay in Azure like it is today. No changes ever occur. There is no migration. That means no egress costs.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 describes how to migrate data between different cloud providers. There you need to download the data first. That means egress costs, yes. But they are hard to predict, because Veeam only downloads data that is not available in performance tier.
For the jobs using the current local storage I guess I could build a local cloud gateway and use that for those jobs?
not sure what that means. Can you maybe explain a little bit more?

Thanks,
Hannes
AngusThermopyle
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Martyn Kay

Post by AngusThermopyle »

Hi Hannes,
Many thanks for getting back to me. With the change to the backend storage, I was more questioning the Data flow; will the data move
Endpoint --> Veeam B&R (Azure) --> Wasabi
or
Endpoint --> Wasabi

If it is the first option then data is flowing in/out of Azure and incurring egress costs.

The second question was referring to some existing jobs that go to specific storage devices on our network and therefore to improve the routing/load, a 'local' cloud gateway joined to the new B&R instance in Azure would make for an easier way of separating (if only in administration) local from 'cloud' jobs using object storage (Wasabi).
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the first is pretty close, yes. It's similar also today (Azure compute to Azure blob). There will be egress costs, yes.

It's like this
1. Veeam Agent / customer VBR
2. Cloud Connect Gateway
3. Cloud Connect Repository
4. Gateway server (normally the machine that runs the repository extent. Configuration is in the "account" tab of the object storage repository configuration.)
5. Object storage (Wasabi in your case)

Best regards,
Hannes