Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ekhouser614
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Houser

Backup Copy Job to SOBR then to AWS S3

Post by ekhouser614 »

This will be a "newbie" question, but, if I run backup copy jobs to an off-site repository which is a member of a SOBR, which also contains an Amazon S3 extent, when the backups gets transferred to the "storage tier", where is the transfer sourcing from? I ask this for bandwidth reasons. The SOBR contains a physical server extent and an S3 extent for archival purposes. When the archives go to AWS, does the transfer happen from the physical server extent or elsewhere? I do not want the backups to go over the WAN to our primary site and then out to AWS, but rather from the off-site repository out the local Internet.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Backup Copy Job to SOBR then to AWS S3

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Eric,

Backups are going either directly from SOBR extents to the Capacity Tier (given that they have direct access to the internet) or through gateway server you configured in Object Storage properties on Account step of the Wizard.
The source point is the extent, anyway.
Check this article.

Best regards,
Oleg
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy Job to SOBR then to AWS S3

Post by veremin »

By the way, what Cloud Tier policy you're planning to use: move (move oldest backups to object storage, as soon as they age out of the specified window) or copy (copy all backups to object storage, as soon as they are created)? In the former case be aware that only GFS restore points will be offloaded to object storage, as the chain with recent backups remains active with Backup Copy jobs. Thanks!