Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ipalikuca
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ivan Palikuca

Backup to cloud storage

Post by ipalikuca »

I am looking to store backups directly to cloud and I do have installed Veeam B&R 9.5 but I have hard time understanding why do I have to use scale out repository. I want to store some backups off site and directly to cloud. Worst case scenario I can backup locally and copy to cloud. I want specific backups to store only in cloud not "only in case I run out of storage locally". Can someone point me to documentation that will show how to setup veeam without scale out repositories? I know I can use Azure files but that is more expensive than blob storage.

I have also looked into Veeam cloud connect but that means I have to find service provider (if I understood correctly) because I don't have a license to create Veeam cloud connect myself in cloud.

In the end I am looking for simple solution where I just want specific Veeam jobs to backup to could only storage. Worst case scenario if not possible, I backup locally and do azcopy.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup to cloud storage

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ivan,

The simplest solution would be to find a Veeam cloud service provider in your region or in any preferred location to offload backups to cloud storage. Once you find one and sing up for his services you will be able to set up a backup copy job to send the required backups offsite.

Cloud storage functionality (aka Capacity Tier) which is a part of the scale-out backup repository was designed to extend the capacity of your backup storage and not to serve as a primary target for the backup job. Please keep in mind that storing backups locally is always recommended (for example, for faster restore operations), so I would suggest selecting any local storage for short retention and use one of our VCSPs for offsite backups/longer retention.

Thanks!
ipalikuca
Lurker
Full Name: Ivan Palikuca

Post by ipalikuca »

Vitally,

Thanks for the answer. I forgot to mention backups that I am offloading are just for a long term retention of data, I always keep locally backups, I am just looking to archive data that I don't need on prem but I am required to keep.

Ivan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ivan,

Ok! So in your case, it is either SOBR (scale-out backup repository) or any service provider that might be the same company you're buying hardware/licenses from.

Thanks!
andrejslon
Novice
Full Name: Andrey

Post by andrejslon »

Hello Vitaly,

Answer please following questions:
1) In case if I use object storage and SOBR, what will happen if I will loose whole location, will old backups from object storage be usable on freshly deployed Veaam server?
2)Is VCSPs only option for Backup copy jobs to the cloud at the moment?
3)Do you plan to implement functionality that will allow to run Backup copy jobs directly to the cloud storage(for example azure blob storage), the same way as it works for external repositories, without VCSPs ?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Andrey,

1. Like with any other backup files, you will need to add that repository and rescan it.
2. You need to define the term "cloud" first ;) You can use SOBR with the Capacity tier in your premises or send data to one of our VCSPs who are specializing on this capability.
3. Cannot comment on this as we do not share our roadmap.

Thank you!
andrejslon
Novice
Full Name: Andrey

Post by andrejslon »

Thank you for fast answer!
2. Ok, then I will ask differently :) Is it possible to use MS Azure storage or Amazon S3 storage as target repository for "Backup" or/and "Backup copy" jobs?

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, that's not possible.