Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Conrad Goodman

Block not found

Post by ConradGoodman »

[MOD] Split from Attempt to overwrite existing non-sparse block version (may or may not be connected to the corresponding hotfix)
veremin wrote: Oct 26, 2021 1:57 pm According to the support ticket, R&D team is already working on the issue, so let's wait and see what they suggest after their investigation. Thanks!
It's now been nearly 2 months since I had an off-site backup for this VM. Still no solution, and the danger is the business decide this is not a viable DR solution... :oops:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: Attempt to overwrite existing non-sparse block version

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Conrad, do I understand it correctly that the "Attempt to overwrite existing non-sparse block version" this thread is discussing was solved for you with a hotfix? If yes, then let's not to mix comments on completely separate issues here please, as posts like above misinform other readers who are trying to understand if there's a solution to the original issue in the subject line.

Please continue working with support on the new issue, and if you ever feel there's a real need to discuss this new issue with a wider community, then just create the dedicated topic.

Thanks!
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast

Post by ConradGoodman »

Gostev,

Fair point, however the hotfix did not solve the problem in my case.

I had 2 VMs affected with: "Attempt to overwrite existing non-sparse block version"

In the case of 1 VM, it fixed the problem.

In the case of the 2nd VM, it just threw another error message after the hotfix: block not found.

They are one and the same original problem and support ticket. Perhaps it is useful to the wider community to know that the hotfix may result in their error message changing as mine did?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

ConradGoodman wrote: Nov 08, 2021 3:01 pmPerhaps it is useful to the wider community to know that the hotfix may result in their error message changing as mine did?
Sure, and in fact you already did exactly that on the previous page of this topic? You let the community know about this new error message, and I never said back then that your post was not useful or off-topic.

However, with this latest comment you're not adding any additional value to the discussion. Contrary to that, you are confusing other readers into thinking there's no solution for the original issue still, despite you have at least one site that experienced the original issue running fine now thanks to the hotfix. I mean, just step back and read what you wrote yourself in the context of the discussion - and I am sure you will agree with me.
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast

Post by ConradGoodman »

Not really, my last comment was a reply to a quote about the 'block not found' comment, not sure it confuses people - but it is possible for 2 people to read the same thing and come to a different interpretation of it.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

If only it was just us 2 having a different interpretation, then I would not even worry... but there are hundreds of other readers daily who will see "nearly 2 months with no solution" statement as the last post of the thread about the issue in subject. And I don't see how any other person can have "your" interpretation, when there's no mention either in the quote or in your post that you're talking about "block not found" issue now. Which is why it is always best not to mix comments about different issues in the same thread, or at the very least being very explicit about the fact that you're no longer talking about the original error.
ConradGoodman
Enthusiast

Post by ConradGoodman »

Understood - I'm a busy man with my fingers in lots of pies.

If you follow the chain of quotes backwards you'll see my train of thought. If you read the post on its own without the context, you'll see your train of thought.

If the forum software included all the quotes in the chain, it'd stand on its own.

If you feel the comment is impacting the community in a negative manner then either edit it or delete it, no problem.

Cheers
Conrad
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Re: Block not found

Post by Gostev »

We just split it into a different topic. As a side benefit, if anyone else has the same issue, they will be able to find it more easily now.