Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Teerakiat K
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Teerakiat K

Can SOBR configure to keep yearly data on premise before move to capacity tier?

Post by Teerakiat K »

Hello

Customers have scenario where they would like to keep yearly backup year 1, year2 to be on premise performance tier. After reached the time move policy to object storage (S3).

From my understanding if we configure backup job GFS for performance tier if the yearly data had performed backup then after the SOBR capacity tier policy the data would move to object storage (S3) ?

For example if capacity tier policy is data older than 14 days after the backup job yearly year 1 had backup then at day 15 the yearly data would move to object storage straight away?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2273 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Can SOBR configure to keep yearly data on premise before move to capacity tier?

Post by Mildur »

If you have configured move policy with 14 days, each sealed backup chain will be moved after this 14 days to the capacity tier. This includes all gfs restore points.
Your yearly flagged restore point (vbk) will be moved to capacity tier, after your configured 14 days.

If you want to have the yearly RPs only onpremise, you need to configure the move policy to 365 days. But that will keep all RPs onPremise until a year is over. Not very good.

Why does he want to have the yearly only onpremise? It should‘t take to much more storage if you keep it in the capacity tier too. Only changes will be offloaded an not the entire „vbk-size“.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Can SOBR configure to keep yearly data on premise before move to capacity tier?

Post by soncscy »

Teerakiat K wrote: Aug 22, 2021 2:42 pm For example if capacity tier policy is data older than 14 days after the backup job yearly year 1 had backup then at day 15 the yearly data would move to object storage straight away?
No, this is wrong.

14 days means 14 days. If your GFS point is older than 14 days, it will be moved. The move period has no concern as far as I'm aware about the GFS periodicity; a backup is a backup is a backup.

I would be very curious why anyone would want such staggered offloading on a per-backup-file basis and I'm not sure it gives a ton of benefits.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Fabian and Harvey are correct here, operational restore window defines a time period after which inactive backup chain should be moved from performance to the capacity extent. This period is not affected by type of restore points (simple and GFS retentions) or how often they are created.