Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Jersey
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James

Can't create SOBR with Community Edition

Post by Jersey »

According to this article it's possible to create an SOBR with Community Edition: https://www.veeam.com/blog/community-ed ... tures.html
It says: "With Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition, you have the ability, by using PowerShell, to add your scale-out backup repository and object storage"

However, this fails giving the message "Add-VBRScaleOutBackupRepository : Current license does not allow this operation"

The command I'm using is: "Add-VBRScaleOutBackupRepository -Name "Veeam Performance Scale-Out Repository" -PolicyType DataLocality -Extent "Storage Tier to S3 Compatible""

Anyone got any ideas why I'm not able to create the SOBR? Is the linked article wrong?

What I'm trying to achieve is off-site backups using Community Edition... preferably using S3-Compatible storage. Maybe I'm missing a better way?

Any assistance gratefully received.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Can't create SOBR with Community Edition

Post by Gostev »

Yes, that article is 2 major releases old and is no longer actual.

SOBR was never available as a feature in the Community Edition. It was possible to create it for one specific scenario: restoring from backups in cloud object storage when your entire on-prem environment is lost. This was more of a workaround to ensure customers can restore their backups without a valid Veeam license.

But starting from V10, we support importing backup directly from object storage without having to jump through the hoops of creation of a temporary SOBR through PowerShell. So the process is now much easier and no different from how you import backups from other repository types.
Jersey
Novice

Post by Jersey »

Ahh, I see Gostev. Thank you very much for your speedy and helpful reply.

Do you have any recommendations how I could achieve off-site backups in another way? My intention was to use MinIO for S3-Compatible storage but can probably work most other suggestions (though would rather avoid VPNs etc.)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Well, since the Community Edition does not support object storage for anything except restores, there are not too many options. Especially considering your data is so precious it is worth having an offsite backup, I'd recommend simply spending $400/yr for the minimum Veeam Essentials purchase - and use that instead of CE. Thanks!
Jersey
Novice

Post by Jersey »

Ok Gostev. Thank you. Object Storage is not essential but seemed a viable option. I may take your advise though.