Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
emf1967
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ed Fishman

Cloud Backup to S3

Post by emf1967 »

Case # 00462264

Trying to backup network shares to S3 using the AWS Import option for seeding. Job sets up fine, and starts the copy to a USB attached hard drive. After a couple of directories and files are created, it stalls. There was no progress for over 16 hrs so I stopped it. The Backup Plan was set for Real Time, but tried recreating using Manual, but the result was the same.

Been waiting for support to get back to me (sent them the logs last week).

Ed
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Cloud Backup to S3

Post by dellock6 »

What kind of job are you using for seeding?
Anyway, be sure the usb drive is NOT formatted with default Fat32, otherwise maximum file size will be 4 Gb and almost any Veeam backup file will stop writing anything when reaching that size. I had the same problem at a customer, convert the USB disk to NTFS (even if I'm not sure what kind of file system will Amazon then accept for import)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I’ve taken a look at your case, and it seems that a corresponding job just stuck on copying a certain file and didn’t proceed any further. May be the problem is related to the device itself, such as lack of free space, usage of FAT32 (already mentioned by Luca) or some other issues?

Thanks.
emf1967
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ed Fishman

Post by emf1967 »

v.Eremin wrote:I’ve taken a look at your case, and it seems that a corresponding job just stuck on copying a certain file and didn’t proceed any further. May be the problem is related to the device itself, such as lack of free space, usage of FAT32 (already mentioned by Luca) or some other issues?

Thanks.
Checked the formatting - the USB drive is formatted NTFS.

I actually tried two different jobs - both failed (stalled) in the same manner on different files/directories.

Free space is fine - nothing was on the drive at the start.

It is a brand new 3TB drive. Would that be a problem?

If 3 TB drives are not a problem, then I will try re-formatting the drive and see if that helps.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Would that be a problem?
No, it shouldn’t. Though, if you want to completely exclude a drive from the list of suspects, you might want to try to copy the data to different appliance and see whether it makes any difference.

Anyway, kindly, keep working with the support team on investigating this issue.

Thanks.