Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
tohhmas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Cloud Tier - Losing access to Local Repositories

Post by tohhmas »

Hi All,

I'm investigating the intricacies of Cloud Tier and would like some clarification on the following:

If we lose access to the local (performance tier) tier of our Scale-Out Repository (through data-loss, crypto, nuclear armageddon etc.), and have to rebuild our Veeam infrastructure out again, would we be able to re-import the backups in object storage?

I understand the metadata is stored on the local repo but am unsure if the backups in the capacity tier are usable standalone.

Many thanks,
Tom
anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software
Liked: 207 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Re: Cloud Tier - Losing access to Local Repositories

Post by anthonyspiteri79 » 3 people like this post

Hey there Tom.

That is correct. If you loose the site as described you can fire up a new Backup & Replication server, create a new Object Storage Repository using the same credentials/location/bucket/folder as before and from there create a new SOBR with that as the Capacity Tier. During that process we will detect that existing backups are present on the Object storage and you are asked if you want to re-sync the backups. From there the dehydrated VBKs etc will be recreated on the Performance Tier extents and will contain only the metadata. The local indexes will also be rebuilt.

In actual fact, I'm literally running through that process now while during some POC validation...so it's very much tried and tested.

One thing to consider here is that you will only have data outside of your operation restore window...any data that was not offloaded to the Capacity Tier will not be retrievable.

Thanks
Anthony
Anthony Spiteri
Regional CTO APJ & Lead Cloud and Service Provider Technologist
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri
tohhmas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by tohhmas »

Great, thanks Anthony.
Stefan_CGI
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stefan.

Post by Stefan_CGI »

anthonyspiteri79 wrote: Feb 06, 2019 11:28 amOne thing to consider here is that you will only have data outside of your operation restore window...
May i ask what this exactly means?

I am in the process of doing a POC with an S3 compatible storage.
I must admit my view on this was completely different from what im experiencing now and i am eagerly looking for more information.
Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Stefan.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

It means you will only have "old" backups available for restore.
arti73
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Andres Martinez

Post by arti73 »

Hi, we're facing a simular scenario, I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly the Capacity Tier resync process to the performance time: It'll download only the backup config files and the metadata, right? It will NOT download the actual backups to the Performance Tier, right? If so, is there anyway to calculate how much data will be downloaded browsing the online S3 repository?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

That is correct. How much data depends on many things - but as a safe estimation, you can use 500MB per 1TB of backups.
arti73
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Andres Martinez

Post by arti73 »

Thanks Gostev!