Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
CaptainPistache
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Copy only more recent backups to the cloud + Immutability question

Post by CaptainPistache »

Hi everyone,

We're running Veeam V10 (10.0.1.4854) and I'd like to copy our most recent backups to the cloud with, if possible, immutability to obviously prevent ransomwares or insider threats. The goal is to keep maybe only 10 days of our last backups in the cloud and do not change our actual on premise retention.

But I'm kind of lost with all the information available online that are not necessarily up-to-date.

Because I like bullet points :
  • I understand that since v10, there's an option to copy backups to the cloud as soon as they're created with the Capacity Tier extent of the Scale Out Backup Repository. With this case, how the retention is managed in the cloud ? How I can say I want to keep only x days of backups ?
  • In Veeam B&R, if you want to "Connect to External Repository", it says "blablabla... and for Backup Copy jobs". On your website however, it clearly says "You cannot use an external repository as a target for backup or backup copy jobs.". Who's right ?
  • As we use incremental mode with periodic active full backups, why would we need to use a 3rd party software like Starwinds VTL to be able to use Azure immutability ? What is the key difference between a replication with a 3rd party software and just the copy of the last backup files through Veeam (with SOBR extent for example)
  • Are there some technical limitations that limit the ability to directly copy backups to the cloud or is it a marketing strategy to force clients to use Veeam Cloud Connect partners ?
Thanks a lot for your precious help.

Kind regards,
Captain
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6704 times

Re: Copy only more recent backups to the cloud + Immutability question

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello!

1. Your retention policy (how many days to keep backups) is defined in the backup job settings. Scale-out backup repository is in the end just a repository (storage target to put backups in), only a smarter one that also does automated tiering and copying of backups. However, just like a regular repository, it does not have its own retention policies. It is defined strictly on the job level what to backup, and how long to keep backups for.

2. External Repositories can be used as a source of Backup Copy jobs, but not as a target for either Backup and Backup Copy job.

3. Yes, VTL would be the way to go. The key difference is that we won't be able to assist you with any issues caused by managing your backup data with a 3rd party software. See the last paragraph in this KB article.

4. There are no technical limitations, there's simply no such feature in Veeam Backup & Replication yet. Keep in mind we've only started integrating with object storage relatively recently, while Veeam Cloud Connect has been around forever (well before object storage became the big thing).

Thanks!
CaptainPistache
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot Gostev for your very clear answer.

About the point 3) : would incremental backups with periodic full work with Azure immutability when using the Capacity tier extent copy ? If not, why is this different than copying for example VTL files in the cloud with immutability ?

Thanks a lot.

Captain
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

No, because our object storage offload engine is forever-incremental. Please see a more detailed explanation here. Thanks!
CaptainPistache
Enthusiast

Great ! This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you very much !
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You're welcome! Love your nick name :D