Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
EWMarco
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Marco Glavas

Define start time for offload tasks

Post by EWMarco »

Hi everyone

I could swear I had previously stumbled across a registry key that could determine when the global SOBR offload tasks start. We already use the key that defines the interval but we'd like to have the interval begin at 6 AM as to give the individual offload jobs a chance to grab some task slots.

Appreciate the help.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Define start time for offload tasks

Post by Mildur »

Hi Marco

Offload happens all 4 hours.
Have you already tried to configure the offload window? You can use the offload window for each SOBR.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
EWMarco
Service Provider

Post by EWMarco »

Hi Mildur

No, our offloads happen at different intervals. We used the SOBRArchivingScanPeriod registry key to change this behavior.

What I could not yet change was when this interval starts. I believe per default it is at midnight but I am unsure.

I have set an interval of 12 hours and would like the jobs to fire at 6 AM and 6 PM respectively.

I have not yet considered using the schedule as I thought this would also impact the dedicated job offloads as well, which we definitely do not wish.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Yes. 4 hours is the default. With the key, offload interval may be different.
If you want to start offloads every 12 hours at 6am/6pm, then the offload window can be tried. Please let me know if it doesn't work.
I thought this would also impact the dedicated job offloads as well, which we definitely do not wish.
I don't understand "would also impact the dedicated job offloads". What other offloads do you want to run? All jobs follow the same offload policy (Move, Copy) configured on the SOBR.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
EWMarco
Service Provider

Post by EWMarco »

When you configure the capacity tier to offload everything older than X, those jobs get worked on in a global SOBR Offload job. However, if you tell it to immediately offload jobs, every single Backup job will generate its own offload job. Those we want running. Our current issue is that we have dedicated jobs and global jobs standing on each others' feet. We want to prioritize the dedicated jobs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The process and the transferred data will be the same in both cases, so not sure what your end goal is. If you want particular job backups to be moved manually at different times, you can try this approach. Thanks!
EWMarco
Service Provider

Post by EWMarco »

We have situations where there are several individual and several global offload jobs all doing nothing because it seems that VMs get listed in both and neither can progress.

I have been babysitting the offloading for two months now and I'd like to stop having to do this.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure what you mean by individual offload jobs, as the offload process is tied to Capacity Tier and operates globally (unless you are moving specific backups manually).

If some backups (that have fallen out of the specified operational restore window) are not moved to Capacity Tier, reach our support team for further investigation.

Thanks!