Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
peterkhsim
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sim Kwai Hua Peter

Download speed to download backup data from Azure Blob Online Storage to Veeam Backup Locally Offline

Post by peterkhsim »

Take for current scenario, I have backup copies offsite to Azure.
No intention of restoring to Azure, this is only to have offsite recent backups that I can download locally back to my existing local system (Veeam).

What would be the download speed (Megabytes Per Sec) if we were to download backup data from Azure Blob Storage to my existing local system using Veeam Backup locally?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Download speed to download backup data from Azure Blob Online Storage to Veeam Backup Locally Offline

Post by wishr »

Hi Peter,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thanks for posting!

It's hard to predict what would be the speed in your particular scenario since it depends on a lot of factors. To name a few, the geographical location of the B&R server, chosen Azure region, network bandwidth, latency, etc.

Also, I'd like to mention that download speed does not always directly relate to the amount of time required to download the backup. This is thanks to the download job looking up each required block in the local backup first, to ensure it does not pull any blocks which already exists on-premise from the cloud, as to minimize the amount of data transferred and so egress charges.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Download speed to download backup data from Azure Blob Online Storage to Veeam Backup Locally Offline

Post by Gostev »

If I remember correctly, Azure limits throughput to 60MB/s for object storage. But best is to confirm with Microsoft directly, as this may depend on the account type.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Here, found it > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/ ... -checklist
Bandwidth and operations per blob
You can read or write to a single blob at up to a maximum of 60 MB/second (this is approximately 480 Mbps, which exceeds the capabilities of many client-side networks (including the physical NIC on the client device).