Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jdombeck
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: John Dombeck

Backblaze B2 error: S3 Versioning feature is enabled

Post by jdombeck »

I just updated to the latest version of B&R and am now experiencing a new issue when trying to create a object repository on Backblaze B2. I am getting the error "Failed to disable backup immutability: S3 Versioning feature is enabled on the selected bucket." However, Object Lock is not enabled on the B2 bucket I'm using. Is anyone else seeing this error? (I have also opened support case #04471794.)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6723 times

Re: Error Creating B2 Object Repository

Post by Gostev »

This is explained in the sticky topic on object storage compatibility. Backblaze B2 always has versioning enabled on all buckets, this is in their object storage design so you cannot control it. Veeam does not currently support such buckets unless you also enable the Immutability option in the Object Storage Repository wizard.
TroyBB
Technology Partner
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Troy Liljedahl

Re: Backblaze B2 error: S3 Versioning feature is enabled

Post by TroyBB » 2 people like this post

Hello! Backblaze’s Solution Engineering Manager, Troy, here. In the upcoming v11 release of B&R, you should be able to proceed through this warning and use a bucket in Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage without Immutability enabled. In the meantime, as Gostev stated, enabling Immutability makes this a non-issue - and we would strongly recommend people enable Immutability for an added level of data protection in all circumstances. Happy to help with this process if you need a hand!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Backblaze B2 error: S3 Versioning feature is enabled

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Background: When versioning is enabled and Veeam will delete data, then the data will remain as an version on the storage. Customers need to start a clean up process then on the storage side to really delete the data. As we had some escalated support cases we enforce with v10a now that versioning should be disabled (if you do not use immutability). In 10a CP3 (next commulative patch) we intend to change this to a warning popoup that you can ignore when you had setup the cleaning process on the storage.