Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Dooh
Service Provider
Liked: never

Expected speed of restoration from the Capacity Tier, BackBlaze B2 storage

Post by Dooh »

I was wondering what performance others get from performing restores from the capacity tier.

We have about 120TB at BackBlaze B2 and recently had to perform a restore of 26GB of files from a backup and it took about 17 hours (3.4MBps).

Is this a normal restoration speed?
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: Expected speed of restoration from the Capacity Tier, BackBlaze B2 storage

Post by dalbertson »

That does seem a bit slow. There are a lot of factors that play into this though. Have you opened a case with Veeam support on this? Would be interesting to see the logs to tell where the slowdown was. Does the restore job summary say where the lag was? IE source, target, etc.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
Dooh
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by Dooh »

I have not yet open a case, I will.

The FLR does not show the source of the slowdown, it actually shows remarkably little useful info about the performance
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6717 times

Post by Gostev »

This speed can be perfectly normal if behind those 26GB are hundreds of thousands of very small files spread across an entire disk of the original machine. In fact, the same restore would take forever even from a backup file sitting on a local [spinning] hard drive due to all the random I/O required... let alone from the cloud.

But certainly not normal if you are restoring reasonably large files, as it's really hard to find a storage which can't perform well doing a streaming I/O.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6717 times

Post by Gostev »

However, just to be sure, I would try to restore a small VM from the Capacity Tier to confirm there are no basic issues with the bandwidth like some throttling somewhere, and to exclude a possibility of issues with Backblaze itself. Normally, you should see far greater speed with full VM restores due to this being a streaming I/O.