Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Michael

export vbk

Post by mcz »

Dear PM's,

I'm using object storage since it first got introduced 4 years ago. My current deployment uses v11, but I'd switch to v12 soon.
Now I need to export a backup from the object storage to a specific drive and I'm using a fresh, separate v12 installation for that. So it's quite easy: create object storage, pass credentials, choose bucket, import backups, export.

The problem is I'm exporting a 2 TB machine and it fails ALWAYS on the second disk (first disk is fine, but the second one fails quite quickly). Luckily, it fails after 2,3 % and not after 97 % :D
My point is: Whenever it fails, it's game over, you have to restart it. Compare to a BCJ-logic, it doesn't resume on the last point where it had interrupted and that would be very helpful. Of course, if this is a bug, it will get fixed and that's it, but there are many other possible problem areas which you can't control: Internet providers, s3 providers, etc.

I'm not having a 10 Gbit/s fibre internet connection and so it takes days to download that vm, if you're unlucky it takes weeks... Btw, the case # is 05909696

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: export vbk

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
My current deployment uses v11,
I'm using a fresh, separate v12 installation for that.
well, two backup servers accessing the same bucket is unsupported. Wasn't there a warning in V12 (I have seen that warning V12 to V12, but did not try with V11 buckets)? V12 can handle it by assigning one owner. But that does not work with V11, because that concept does not exist there.

I would strongly recommend to stop that setup and hope that no data is lost.

Best regards,
Hannes
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

so importing backups from object storage leads to WRITES/DELETES/MODIFICATIONS? is that assumption right?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

in V12, yes. V12 also uses a different format to store data in object storage. It does not surprise me to see issues.
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

ok. so what do you suggest, how can I export that vbk from the object storage (please note that I can't use the current existing SOBR)?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

upgrade to V12 would work.

ugly, but would also work: use second V11 server and import object storage without creating SOBR. then do a full restore and do a new backup.
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

HannesK wrote: Apr 18, 2023 9:52 am well, two backup servers accessing the same bucket is unsupported. Wasn't there a warning in V12 (I have seen that warning V12 to V12, but did not try with V11 buckets)? V12 can handle it by assigning one owner. But that does not work with V11, because that concept does not exist there.
No, there was no warning - probably it should have been added. So did I understand you right that using two v12 instances is fine, while using one v11 and one v12 is strongly not adviced?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

So did I understand you right that using two v12 instances is fine
hmm no, I never wrote that :-) V12 just blocks access for the second backup server. I recommend testing before doing it in production.

Two backup servers accessing the same bucket is unsupported
mcz
Veeam Legend

Post by mcz »

Hmm... There's another scenario where I'd use the same bucket on a different instance: For desaster recovery "trainings" via importing an object storage and for validation purposes. So how could that be done starting with v12 when I must not use a different instance?