Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
dejan.ilic@liu.se
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Dejan Ilic

Feature Request : Spot VMs for keeping archive appliance cost down

Post by dejan.ilic@liu.se »

I have noticed that archiving easily can spin up 5-10 VMs during the archival process running for many hours, and at the same time requiring fairly large (expensive) VMs if you have any machine with a little more storage usage.

I would like to be able to use Spot VMs for Archive Appliance, instead of regular PayAsYouGo highest possible cost VMs, given the size.
It can save up to 90% of the cost for the short lived, but numerous VMs, it can have an impact on the costs without losing much as the process.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request : Spot VMs for keeping archive appliance cost down

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
agree, that idea sounds promising in general. On the other hand, it adds complexity to the software. "up to 90%" does not mean that one saves "always 90%".

Two questions... how much do you pay per month today for which amount of data that is archived? And which cloud do you use? (you can also send me the information via direct message, if you don't want to put that in public).

Thanks,
Hannes
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request : Spot VMs for keeping archive appliance cost down

Post by veremin »

Not sure how it will work for us. As I understood, spot VM can be evicted (stopped or removed) by Azure suddenly in the middle of our archiving process. Thanks!