Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
tsctech
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tsctech

GFS to S3 Storage

Post by tsctech »

Hi,

We would like to configure one of our backup jobs to store 14 restore points (dailies) on site but keep 8 weeklies, 12 monthlies and 3 yearlies on S3 SOBR. When we configure this under the backup job (Keep certain backups longer for archival purposes), we notice that the backups in the SOBR are not kept past the 14 restore points.

How do we configure this with minimum amount of bandwidth use? Do we need to set up a backup copy job to maintain the GFS backups on S3.

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: GFS to S3 Storage

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it sounds like, you enabled the "move" policy for capacity tier.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

There question is: do you use capacity tier, or do you go directly to object storage?

If you go to object storage with a backup copy job, then GFS needs to be set on the backup copy job, yes. With capacity tier in "copy" mode, the data on object storage will be the same as in performance tier.

Best regards,
Hannes
tsctech
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tsctech

Post by tsctech »

Hi Hannesk,

Thanks for your help. I checked and we enabled both ''Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created...'' and ''Move backups to object storage as they age out of operational restore window....'' but we had move backup files older than ''60 days'' which I believe we have to reduce to 14 which is what we are keeping on site.

I am still a little confused though do we have to create a seperate Backup Copy job? Thanks again.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you use capacity tier in copy mode, then additional backup copy jobs are not needed (except you want to copy the data again)

Best regards,
Hannes