Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
DarkAlman
Influencer
Liked: never

How to stop SOBR resync on new server from downloading everything?

Post by DarkAlman »

Short version: our local Repo died last month and we had to rebuild and reseed all of our backups.

Now that the immutability has expired we need to delete all those orphaned backups on the Cloud in the Capacity Tier of our SOBR.

I got the SOBR to start resyncing, and it pulls the metadata in but it immediately started downloading all of the orphaned backups to our performance tier.

How can I stop it from doing that?

I just want to pull in the Index of the old backups so I can delete them.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How to stop SOBR resync on new server from downloading everything?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and we had to rebuild and reseed all of our backups
can you maybe explain what you did here? Because that should fix itself by downloading all necessary data from capacity tier.
we need to delete all those orphaned backups on the Cloud in the Capacity Tier
how did it happen, that you got orphaned backups in the cloud? Per design, they are the "failover location" if the performance tier fails. They sync again with performance tier and don't get "orphaned".

Actually I'm not 100% sure what you try to do. But if the goal is to not download any data, then you can just remove the capacity tier object storage and that's it. Restore is possible from object storage also without SOBR.

Best regards,
Hannes
DarkAlman
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by DarkAlman »

>can you maybe explain what you did here? Because that should fix itself by downloading all necessary data from capacity tier.

We created new backup jobs and abandoned all the existing ones, that's the issue

We didn't want to resync or download the existing backups from the Cloud, because that would have been 20+ TB of data
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are you saying that as soon as you have added the previously used repository to Capacity Tier, the backup server starts downloading orphaned backups from it? If so, this does not seem expected and needs to be investigated by the support team. However, if you simply want to remove everything from object storage, you can do that by removing the corresponding bucket or container using the object storage interface. Thanks!