Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
HDClown
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Immutability and retention with GFS

Post by HDClown »

I've read through a number of posts on this but still having trouble wrapping my mind around immutability and retention with GFS. This would be the general configuration:

Backup Job Storage Settings
  • Retention Policy = 31 days
  • GFS = ON, 4 weeks, 15 months, 3 years
Repository
  • SOBR with Wasabi as Capacity Tier
  • Immutable period = 30 days
  • Copy backup to object storage as soon as they are created = ON
  • Move backups to object storage as they age out of the operational restore window = ON, 31 days
The desire is to have 30 days of immutable backups in Wasabi. Where I'm confused is with the the language of "GFS backups are made immutable for the entire duration of their retention policy" that is listed underneath the immutable period.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Immutability and retention with GFS

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
hmm, I see what you mean in the user guide. That sentence applies to standalone object storage repositories. When creating an object storage repository, it does not know, that it might become capacity tier of a scale out repository.

I will talk to my colleagues about clarifying that sentence.

With "move" policy, the 30 days apply. I see, that the user guide is also not 100% clear and I will ask tech writers to describe the details better.

Best regards,
Hannes
HDClown
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by HDClown »

Do I understand correctly that I should complete ignore the language of "GFS backups are made immutable for the entire duration of their retention policy" as it related to immutability being applied to a bucket that is used as capacity tier?

How will the 1 to 10 days immutability that is automatically added by block generation potentially impact "extra storage usage" in Wasabi? Since Wasabi doesn't charge for I/O operations, I'm not concerned about that from a cost perspective, I'm more concerned about chewing up actual storage more than intended. As I put my rolling 31 days of backups immediately into Wasabi already, the goal was for 30 of those days to be immutable and not cause extra storage growth.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Do I understand correctly that I should complete ignore the language of "GFS backups are made immutable for the entire duration of their retention policy" as it related to immutability being applied to a bucket that is used as capacity tier?
yes, in capacity tier only the repository immutability is applied

If you configure 30 days immutability, then some objects would be immutable for 40 days. If you want to reduce storage costs, then 20 days would be the way to go. Or you have the requirement of 30 days, then you need to pay more for storage.

Best regards,
Hannes