Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Internet Throttling Rules Hack -- is it safe?

Post by soncscy »

Hey all,

Going into that territory because a client pushed me there and I'm also just curious.

Currently, Veeam doesn't support multiple Internet Throttling rules. I get that, I'm not interested in breaking the status quo, but I've got clients who are a bit more...Holmes-like.

I'll spare some support cases and give an abbreviated version here without too many specifics, but I can see where throttling rules are controlled in the database and that the Internet rule has some special flags, namely <IsPublic> in the <ThrottlingRules> XML for the VBR server.

I tested this in our lab and editing this entry allows for multiple Internet throttling rules.

I'm not asking for support on such a thing (I've read the forums enough to know manual DB edits aren't supported), but is it safe?

Obviously, conflicting rules will be an issue, but for my client, pandora's box is opened -- I can't close it now :( Is Veeam able to comment on if there are any anticipated issues with doing this?

If the answer is straight up "we don't support", then so be it, just give me something to fall back on :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Internet Throttling Rules Hack -- is it safe?

Post by Gostev »

Hello, you forgot to say the most important part: what specific edits are you making?
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy »

Well, I was trying to hint towards it.

Looks like in dbo.Options there's a value for TrafficThrottlingRules which includes all the rules added to Veeam. The value column is just some xml data, and inside that, each rule has two nodes for Diapason, which looks to correlate to the source/target IP ranges. One of the flags for these nodes is <IsPublic> which seems to tell Veeam whether to apply this rule to "The Internet" or not.

I've played around in our test environment, and flipping this looks to work just fine -- I can run multiple rules involving The Internet.

Is it safe to do this though?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Developers checked the code for me, and it is safe to do indeed. There does not appear to be any dependencies or requirement to have the single <IsPublic> rule.
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Thank you very much!