Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
maanlicht
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: maanlicht

Is Archiving tier in combination with ReFS backups supported in V12?

Post by maanlicht »

The organization I work for values having at least one copy of its data onprem but would like to benefit from AWS immutability as well. Having 2 backup copies in this case seems sufficient. (I know this goes against Veeams 32110 rule) I am interested in the Archiving tier sending data to Glacier since they only need it in case of a ransomware attack and I want to keep cost down.

Is my understanding correct that B&R v12 does not support sending data from a REFS repo directly to the archive tier and that the capacity tier is only ‘optional’ if I have some form of S3 compatible storage as my performance tier?

Since I don’t have S3 compatible storage on-prem and its unlikely I’ll get it, it seems my options are:
1. Drop Glacier and go for S3 instead and accept the extra storage cost
2. Go for some other form of immutability like Tape or a Hardened Linux Repo
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Is Archiving tier in combination with ReFS backups supported in V12?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Maanlicht
Is my understanding correct that B&R v12 does not support sending data from a REFS repo directly to the archive tier and that the capacity tier is only ‘optional’ if I have some form of S3 compatible storage as my performance tier?
Correct. Please note, the performance tier must have object storage buckets from the same cloud provider as the archive tier.
For AWS S3 Glacier, your performance tier must have AWS S3 repositories as the performance tier extends. In that case, you don't require the capacity tier. We can move the restore points directly from AWS S3 storage to AWS s3 glacier.
Since I don’t have S3 compatible storage on-prem and its unlikely I’ll get it, it seems my options are:
1. Drop Glacier and go for S3 instead and accept the extra storage cost
2. Go for some other form of immutability like Tape or a Hardened Linux Repo
Or Option 3. Create a SOBR out of AWS S3 buckets. Keep the most recent 7-30 days of backups on AWS S3 storage. Add S3 Glacier as Archive Tier and move all monthly GFS backups to the archive tier.

Or use one of the lower cost public object storage provider (no API or egress costs) such as Wasabi instead of AWS.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software