Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Trelor
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

Is There A Cost Effective Glacier Deep Archive Method

Post by Trelor »

Hello I was recently doing some testing with direct to object storage backups to replace a monthly backup process that we have. I did a simple test to S3 directly and that works and it created ~6.7M objects for a 15TB backup. When I calculated out ho much to transition the entire backup set to Glacier Deep Archive (GDA), it was going to be ~$300. I need to keep my monthly backups for 7 years and the transition costs for this process make this extremely cost unaffected. Does Veeam support an AWS bucket rule which will directly write to GDA, also the millions of small objects also will drive up the costs for GDA. Was all of this accounted for in choosing the object sizing for GDA or even a way to restore out of GDA because I had a support case open on this and I was told that even restoring directly from GDA may not be supported so I have to ask; what is the point if any to use this? The only winner I am seeing here is AWS making money. Perhaps I was misinformed but I am looking for pointers if any.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Is There A Cost Effective Glacier Deep Archive Method

Post by Gostev »

No, we don't do direct to Glacier as it's not a great target for incremental backups.

But yes, you were clearly misinformed: we don't do "millions of small objects" when offloading data to Glacier, we use very large objects. And of course, restore from Glacier is fully supported... just may take a while depending on what data retrieval option you choose (expedited, standard or bulk).

Glacier Deep Archive is awesome for archives! Can't really beat its price as it comes to a long-term backup storage.
Trelor
Enthusiast

Post by Trelor »

Thanks Gostev, how large is the object for Glacier so I can estimate out the life cycle transitions. What we are trying to do is keep month end, aka last day of the month, backups for 7 years and I am not sure there is an easy way to even do that via the Veeam GUI
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

It's 512MB.

For your backup job, you will need a GFS retention policy where monthly backups are kept for 84 months. This will give you the 7 years retention policy you're looking to get for your monthly backups.
Trelor
Enthusiast

Post by Trelor »

As Always Gostev, thanks for your help