Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
TheKyoshi
Novice
Liked: never

ISCSI Volume to AWS S3 Glacier

Post by TheKyoshi »

Hello
Just a simple question
I have a ISCSI volume with my regular backup jobs and I would like to push all the data to aws glacier S3, however when I do a scale out it wants me to convert all the jobs to push to aws glacier from now on. I do not want that but I also want data to also backup to local iscsi volume.

I also tried the external backup respoitoy and I cannot find folder on my s3 glacier bucket.

Sorry I am still new to this and would love some advise from experts. I am not sure what to do
Thank you

Case #05420804
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: ISCSI Volume to AWS S3 Glacier

Post by Mildur »

I do a scale out it wants me to convert all the jobs to push to aws glacier from now on. I do not want that but I also want data to also backup to local iscsi volume.
Your iSCSI volume gets converted to a SOBR and all Jobs will be automatically reconfigured to use the new SOBR and the existing backup chains. The iSCSI volume will then act as a extend for the performance tier of the SOBR.
If you choose COPY Offload Policy, nothing changes to backups on the iSCSI volume. Just make sure, that you don‘t enable MOVE.

All Backup Jobs must still backup the data first to the iSCSI volume (Performance Tier). The offload job copies the restore points to the AWS S3 bucket (Capacity Tier).

The retention for both tiers is controlled by the retention settings in the backup job.

External Repositories are only used for the VB AWS/Azure/GCP products.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
Thank you for the case as well. How does your retention look like?

Mildur has already explained it very well, but as you mentioned Glacier, keen to understand a bit more how your retention doos look like, if you have GFS, how much data you are willing to keep onprem, vs on S3/Glacier, etc

Thank you
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
TheKyoshi
Novice
Liked: never

Post by TheKyoshi »

My retention rates are 30 days, the VM is on 7 restore points. We want to keep current data on premises and offload the archive to glacier
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure what's the difference between retention rate and number of restore points. Also, it's unclear whether the GFS is enabled or not. So it would be helpful, if you share the simple and GFS retention schemes and define how many restore points should be located on local storage and how many - on cloud one. Thanks!