Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
thomas.eigenmann
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Eigenmann

Migragte S3 Tiering Repo to S3 Copy

Post by thomas.eigenmann »

Hi,

We have a lot of customers using SOBR S3 Tiering. With v12 we want to change sobr tiering to a new "normal" backup copy to s3 job (lower retention in cloud than onprem).
is there a way to change s3 tiering to a s3 repo? I have tried a lot of things, remove s3 repo from sobr, importing s3 but I was not able to use this backups for mapping so I had to create a new backup copy job to a new s3 repository with a new full backup.

Thank you,
Thomas
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Migragte S3 Tiering Repo to S3 Copy

Post by Mildur »

Hi Thomas

Backups on Capacity Tier Object Storage and Direct to Backup Object Storage are not compatible to each other.
If you want to use Direct Backup to Object Storage, you will need to start a new backup chain.
As a workaround, you may try to use VeeaMover to move backups from the SOBR (performance tier) to a new Bucket.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
tsukraw
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tucker Sukraw

Re: Migragte S3 Tiering Repo to S3 Copy

Post by tsukraw »

@Mildur

Question: In your explanation you said to create a new Bucket.
If you created a new repository on the same object storage bucket and created a new folder on that bucket for the new repository, would this have the same result? Then could you delete the old folder/repository once done with it?

Reason I ask is across our customers we have a standardized bucket naming convention.
We are looking at moving a large number of our customers over to backup copy jobs for more flexibility on VM selection and retention times.

Creating a new repository on the same bucket would be a less steps than having to create a new bucket for each customer.

Thanks
Tucker Sukraw
Network Architect
West Central Technology