Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 126 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Minio and Veeam

Post by tyler.jurgens »

Minio looks to support Veeam's SOS API - https://github.com/minio/minio/releases ... T18-23-45Z but I don't see this mentioned on the Veeam "Unofficial Compatibility List".

We have a large Minio deployment and are planning on augmenting our Veeam using our Minio as SOBR extents (Or maybe just direct repos, not sure yet). Anyone run into any concerns using v12 and Minio they'd like to share?
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Minio and Veeam

Post by Gostev »

Not sure what you mean, I can see definitely see Minio mentioned in the above-referenced forum topic.
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 117 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Post by sfirmes »

@tjurgens-s2d welcome to the Veeam R&D Forums. I will look into getting the Unofficial object storage compatibility list for Veeam Backup & Replication updated to reflect MinIO's claim to support the Smart Object Storage API (SOSAPI).

If you are looking for a list of object storage solutions that support the SOSAPI, please check out the Veeam Ready page. You can then filter the "Features and Attributes" column and select "Smart Object Storage API".

This will list all of the object storage platforms that have been tested by the Alliance Partner and passed the SOSAPI compatibility tests.

Hope this helps.
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend

Post by tyler.jurgens »

Gostev wrote: Apr 11, 2023 2:06 pm Not sure what you mean, I can see definitely see Minio mentioned in the above-referenced forum topic.
Only that the list didn't mention they used SOSAPI.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend

Post by tyler.jurgens »

sfirmes wrote: Apr 11, 2023 2:27 pm @tjurgens-s2d welcome to the Veeam R&D Forums. I will look into getting the Unofficial object storage compatibility list for Veeam Backup & Replication updated to reflect MinIO's claim to support the Smart Object Storage API (SOSAPI).

If you are looking for a list of object storage solutions that support the SOSAPI, please check out the Veeam Ready page. You can then filter the "Features and Attributes" column and select "Smart Object Storage API".

This will list all of the object storage platforms that have been tested by the Alliance Partner and passed the SOSAPI compatibility tests.

Hope this helps.
I've been around these forums for a while under a different identity. :P

Really appreciate the link! That page is really helpful (even if its hard to filter by partner). I don't see any mention of better integration though on that page either. I do see it in Minio's versions (as listed above) and their blog though.
Tyler Jurgens
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 117 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Post by sfirmes » 2 people like this post

@tjurgens-s2d if/when MinIO participates and passes the Veeam Ready Object or Veeam Ready Object with Immutability tests and if they choose to test their SOSAPI integration, at that time they will show up in the unofficial S3 listing mentioned earlier.

Sorry for missing that part of your question.
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
backend
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by backend »

tjurgens-s2d wrote: Apr 11, 2023 6:05 pm Only that the list didn't mention they used SOSAPI.
Seems they have implented it as I get the famous blue bucket icons for some days now... :D
Version: RELEASE.2023-06-23T20-26-00Z (go1.19.10 linux/amd64)
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend

Post by tyler.jurgens » 2 people like this post

They fixed a bug in RELEASE.2023-06-02T23-17-26Z that affected Veeam SOSAPI on Minio multi pool setups. I found that bug during my extensive Veeam & Minio testing. They had SOS API integration for a while, but if you had multiple pools it was broken.
Tyler Jurgens
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose » 1 person likes this post

It is interesting to see more vendors coming on the SOSAPI list. I will have to get testing MinIO again and watch this thread.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
kevin.boddy
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Kevin Boddy

Post by kevin.boddy »

Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting this post.
How did you get SOS API to work? I have a new (Sep 2023) MinIO cluster deployment but the files it is supposed to create for SOS API are not there in the bucket. I have a hard quota set for the bucket.
Was there something else you had to do to get this working?

Thanks
Kevin
kevin.boddy
Service Provider

Post by kevin.boddy » 2 people like this post

Never mind, figured this one out. If you set the region in MinIO to anything other than us-east-1 the SOS API stops working correctly and your buckets show as S3 compatible.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend

Post by tyler.jurgens »

Have you brought that up with Minio? We don't use regions in our Minio deployments, so I can't say I've seen that issue myself.
Tyler Jurgens
kevin.boddy
Service Provider

Post by kevin.boddy »

This doesn't look like a MinIO issue. The capacity.xml is still being generated correctly by MinIO no matter the region.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend

Post by tyler.jurgens »

I would still suggest bringing it up with Minio (in addition to a Veeam ticket). Minio has been fantastic with their support through SUBNET. They also appear to have a good relationship with Veeam, so they might be able to back-channel some discussions as well.
Tyler Jurgens