Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
rkobiske
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rob Kobiske

Move existing backups to S3 storage

Post by rkobiske »

I'm looking to use the new copy feature to copy my backups to Wasabi. My question is i have a lot of VMs backed up with Veeam 9.5 using forever incremental. How do i get those "old" backups to Wasabi. I'm fearful if i enable to copy to object storage job, it'll only move the new incremental backups to the cloud and not the entire chain.

Thanks for the help!
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: Move existing backups to S3 storage

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

You would need to use the copy and move options. Copy will copy the backups instantly after it’s taken and the move (tier) will tier them to object after the chain is closed. Both of these options can be used at the same time but also be aware of your retention settings as well because they will most likely need to be adapted for longer term retention in object.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
rkobiske
Novice

Post by rkobiske »

If i use the move option, will the chain ever be closed? With forever incremental backups, i didn't think the chain would ever close, thus i'd never get the fulls up to the cloud. Or has that changed with V10?
rkobiske
Novice

Post by rkobiske » 1 person likes this post

Ok, actually i should have just tried this before i asked. If I click copy to the cloud and apply it asks if i want to copy the old backups to the cloud. Pretty cool. Thanks for the help
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

Yeah. Sorry I missed you saying forever forward.

But here are the details in case you want to dig deeper

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances