Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Move SO repository to new server

Post by frankive »

We have a local veeam server with scale our server with 2 local repositories. One for the backup job, and one repository which is part of a Scale out Repository with azure object storage for offloading older files.

We have some obselete configuration so we basically want to build the new server with new configuration (only 1 backup job and 1 backup copy job).

Is there anything with the SO we should be aware of? My plan is to build the new server, create 2 local repostiories and copy the correcsponding backup files. The create a new SO with the mentioned repository and connect it with the azure object storage.

Any issuess here? any metadata errrors we can get with this SO movement?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Move SO repository to new server

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Frank,

If you are planning to use the same object storage endpoint as a capacity tier in your Scale-out repository, you can do the following:
- Build a new server with repositories.
- Add the needed repository to the existing Scale-out repository without deleting its performance tier extent yet.
- Evacuate backups from the old SOBR extent you are going to decommission to the one you just added.
- Remove the old extent and decommission the obsolete server.

I think, would be easier this way than rebuilding SOBR anew :wink:

Best regards,
Oleg
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

the problem is that the new server will be in azure (with a site to site). We will use a NAS local for performance.
The azure server will just be a mangementserver. So we are deploying a new veeam server (in azure) and adding the local NAS.
So we will need to build a new SO as far as I am concerned?

And another question: When SO is offload to object storage, will the NAS locally with the performance extent direct copy over Internet, or does it first redirect the traffic to the veeamserver in Azure, and then from the veeam server in azure to the object storage?
I guess the cost could be a thing in Azure if traffic needs to go in and out. We are looking for the azure server just to be a "command" central for a few different local customers, but their backuptraffic NOT to go to the Azure Veeam in any ways.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive » 1 person likes this post

any one know anything regarding traffic from nas to object storage? will go through the veeam server during offloading or directly?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

So we will need to build a new SO as far as I am concerned?
Yes, or else you might as well try to restore configuration database (assuming that you backed it up) to the new VBR server in Azure.
If the servers you involved as repositories for SOBR will be resolvable by their DNS names from the new Veeam Server,
you can just proceed with the steps I wrote above.
When SO is offload to object storage, will the NAS locally with the performance extent direct copy over Internet, or does it first redirect the traffic to the veeamserver in Azure, and then from the veeam server in azure to the object storage?
Traffic will go directly to the object storage.

Thanks!
Oleg
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

build a new SO... if i remove object storage and local extent from exisintg SO. Then create a new SO on the new server and add the object storage and local nas as extent. Do they recognize each other and compare their metadata and is ready to go and will serve the new Veeam server with all exising backup, both in the nas and object storage? Will it be that easy? Or does the old Veeam server have information that NOT is included in the metadata in the extend and SO?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

When you add a backup repository, New Backup Repository wizard provides the option to import existing backups if any.
So, yes, in this case backups will be available as separate backup chains under Home>Backups>Disk (Imported) and Object Storage tabs.
The difference is that imported backups will have JobId with the value of 0s and thus won't be tied to any of the existing jobs ->
The job you configure with a new SOBR will start a completely new backup chain with distinct JobId.