Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Multiple SOBRS with same Object storage bucket?

Post by backupquestions »

Is it possible to create a second SOBR and use the same object storage repository with that one? This is all one Veeam B&R server, but I want to offload backups from more than one repository into Wasabi bucket.

Yes, I could add the other local repo into the performance tier, but the issue I can see is that all backup jobs would have to abide by the same offload policy for that one SOBR... So for example if I have some vms which I want all sealed chains offloaded I can do that, or if I want just stuff 4 weeks old or more in the other job then I'm stuck because they both abide by the "global" sobr offload.

That is why I want to have 2 sobrs and give each local repo its own performance tier placement in a sobr.

Will veeam simply know to make a new folder in the object storage repo and work fine or will this break and screw up backups?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Multiple SOBRS with same Object storage bucket?

Post by veremin »

Is it possible to create a second SOBR and use the same object storage repository with that one?
The exact same repository - not, but you can create different object storage repository using the same bucket, but with different folders inside of it. Thanks!
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Post by backupquestions » 3 people like this post

Awesome, same bucket at least but new repo gives me the result I want. Thank you! Love Veeam!! We are adding more customers for you soon :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Happy to hear that, keep them coming :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

While sharing the same bucket between different SOBR technically works and is supported, it is not recommended for object storage scalability reasons. Please only use this approach in small environments with no more than a few dozen TBs of backups in total across all SOBR (although this number varies by an order of magnitude depending on object storage type).